Part 6: Auras

Amnicity did not enjoy retroflection. Her brain remained idle during lessons; letting, the percipience flow from Lady Elry to some inconsequential place where words died. The practice of ignoring Lady Elry usually resulted in her tutor giving up. Unfortunately, today, Lady Elry seemed full of breath and displayed little care for her student's boredom.

A soft cough diverted Amnicity's attention from trying to decide which creatures existed in the outlines of dirt on the windowpane to her current reality.

"Yes," Lady Elry enquired, with a slightly raised stature.

"Sorry to intrude your lesson, Lady Elry," the footman started. "However, King Valander has asked Princess Amnicity be sent to him at once. It is a matter of great importance."

"So is this lesson. What could be more important than Princess Amnicity being educated to rule competently?"

"I—He, King Valander, asked Princess Amnicity be sent to him at once," the footman stuttered, reducing his eyes to the floor under Lady Elry's glare.

"If it is a matter of great importance, then it would be foolish to leave my father waiting. He must be sure the knowledge can be gained later," Amnicity assured her tutor with a little bit too much gusto while rising from her chair.

"Princess—"

Amnicity waved her hand to halt her tutor's words.  "My father should not be one to wait, Lady Elry.  It would be horrific for you to be punished for my tardiness.  I must leave."

"Very well. Let His Majesty know that I will be waiting here for your return Princess," Lady Elry stated, crossing her arms and leaning back against a table.  She eyed her charge warily.  

"You waste too many beautiful days," Amnicity sighed as she walked through the door the footman held for her.

The poor footman did not know where to look. Fear of impropriety kept his eyes diverted from Princess Amnicity, and Lady Elry's eyes spoke of malicious intent to his person. Thus, his eyes remained trained upon the pattern on the carpet.

Princess Amnicity, for her part, did not spare him a glance. Instead, she bestowed Lady Elry with a smirk while leaving the room.

Amnicity's victory proved serendipitous in nature when she encountered the newly appointed High General Lessure in the hallway speaking with a guard. She gathered her wits to approach the two gentlemen whispering.

It must be significant information if they are whispering. He does look dashing in his cape.  Amnicity mused with a smile.  

"High General Lessure," Amnicity acknowledged.

"Princess Amnicity," High General Lessure bowed curtly.

The nervous-looking guard made a swift bow before walking away.

"It seems your duties never cease," she smiled.

He nodded his head.  "The protection of the crown is always my greatest concern."

They stood in a moment of silence.  A maid walked past carrying towels.  The two looked at the opposite walls.  

"I will let you return to your duty," Amnicity finally stated, turning.

Her mind instantly berated her awkward nature before transitioning to a small cheer when High General Lessure asked her to pause.

"Would you like an escort through the halls?"

"That would nice." She smiled.  "Though there is hardly any danger within them."

"Within where?"