Chapter 10: Healing

Levi's POV

"Are you feeling better?" Hanji was carefully munching on her doughnut when I came by this one evening. This weekend I was given time off. I guess Farlan's been guessing I've been seeing a girl or so... so he's been convincing our boss to give me time off. More so telling our boss that I don't take too much time out of work. But I spend all my free time with the kids. "I mean, after everything else..."

Hanji smiled gently, looking at me with gentle eyes. "Yeah, I'm doing better. Mostly crying in my bed, but... I'm glad I'm on break right now."

From the corner of my eye, I saw a flash of light then a flurry of footsteps scurrying away. No doubt that was one of the kids... most likely that brat- Eren. I've noticed he's been stealing Hanji's phone much more, snapping pictures and all. I may have heard their conversation about taking pictures of people who didn't want to be photographed. But Eren? That conversation whizzed above his head. Maybe it's his height that allowed him to duck down.

"Something wrong?" Hanji called out, tilting her head like a puppy. "You went quiet- kinda unusual."

"Thought I heard a brat taking pictures. Saw a flash of light or something. Do you have your phone on you? I mean... I have my phone on me right now." I took it out of my pocket, somewhat waving it around. 

"It's probably mine..." Hanji sighed heavily, not willing to check her pockets. "I'm not in the mood to... you know, scold him for stealing my phone. I mean, is it bad to not scold him? He doesn't steal anything- n-nothing bad, of course!"

I chuckled softly, "I'll talk to him if he continues this habit. He is a good kid."

"You really don't have to-"

Cutting her off, I nudged her shoulder with the back of my hand. "Now you're the one acting quiet. You're acting unusual- you sure nothing's wrong with you?"

"I'm fine, Levi."

As much as I wanted to help her open up to her true thoughts, I didn't want to pry. I leaned against the chair, sighing softly. "Hey, Hanji?"

"Yeah?"

"How much do you know about this orphanage?" Turning my face towards her, I see such a faded memory glazing over her eyes. "You told me about how you got this job here and other stuff- I wonder if you went through this orphanage's history."

"I may have..." Her hazel eyes gazed up towards the ceilings with a heart-warming sigh. "But I remember going through the history when I first got here. I loved to read the histories of some places. Why do you ask?"

Then, I turned away from her. If she went through the history... she might've spotted my name. It would've been creepy if she recognized my name from somewhere else. Oh well. 

"Lev-"

"Just out of curiosity. That's all, Hanji. I mean... this place looks so old... I just wondered about its history." Did I spark curiosity in Hanji's genius brain? If so, she might double check the records and finally see my name under there. "A-Anyways, where are those kids? I'll go and check on them. They're too quiet."

Hanji gave a slight chuckle, finally finishing her doughnut. "You go and do that then. I'll tidy up... the kitchen." That painful groan when it was chores... I could never relate to that. I wanted to help her clean... but I also wanted to see if the kids had found any secrets in this orphanage.

Then, I turned heel and went to gather the dirty dishes and carefully soaking them in water. "I'll help." I finally said as I started to wash.

*   *   *

"Do you... mind if I take a nap?" Hanji asked with a yawn. Her eyes soon turned red from her yawn and I spotted slight bags under her eyes. She... wasn't sleeping? 

"I don't mind. I'll help you to bed."

"I-It's fine, Levi. I'm not a child-"

"You could be." I scoffed softly, following Hanji up to her bed. "You're not sleeping- I'll help get some medicine to help you sleep. It's not healthy for you to be losing this much sleep. Especially since you're taking care over 10 kids here."

Her mouth opened like a fish to give me a rebuttal, but nothing came out. Accepting defeat, Hanji slowly walked into her room. Huh... I remember that room. Formerly, it was one of the assistant caretaker's rooms... that woman who used to have that room was Autumn. Autumn was... one of the nicest women who took care of us orphans back then... Hanji's lucky to have that room.

Shaking my head, I went to the medicine cabinet and started to go up to her room with the medicine in hand. As soon as I got up, Hanji was collapsed on the bed with her stomach facing upwards. I saw her chest slowly rising and falling as she breathed normally. I could hear the faint sounds of her light snoring...

"You didn't need it, huh?" I chuckled, putting the medicine on her bedside table. "Please don't wake up..."

I murmured as I tried to tuck her in her bed. Eventually, I was successful. Hanji slept soundly under her blanket, dreaming of happy dreams. I removed her glasses off her face, seeing such a different person. If it wasn't for her nose, she would've been perfect- at least to other people. As she slumbered... I couldn't help but say...

"Why am I suddenly falling for you?"