Chapter 20: I Won't Leave

Hanji's POV

I watched 2 months pass on by, and Levi kept a weird eye on me. Quietly judging me with whatever I ate and drank. When I was personally invited to a late night party with his co-workers, Levi heavily denied me going. It could've been a number of things but like... it's interesting. Honestly, I chalked it up to the fact he didn't want to show me off to his co-workers. He did complain about how they often tease him about me...

My suspicions grew heavily when the third month arrived with no unexpected surprises. Which... I grew fearsome. Just because of that, I went to clinic just to confirm my suspicions. The results were... I had to tell Levi. I needed to tell him.

*   *   *

Hours later, Levi came to the orphanage, wanting to stay the night once more... he's been staying here much more than his own apartment. Might as well move in...

"Hanji-"

"Levi, can we go over to your place instead?" I asked cheerfully and ran into his arms. "Please, Levi?"

He chuckled a bit, looking into the orphanage. "And what about the kids, huh? Nanaba's staying to watch over them? Or is she going to go out with her friends like she planned?" He raised his hands with a soft smile. "I mean, I don't mind it. I worry for the kids."

"Nanaba... she suggested me to be at your place. She won't be out with her friends tonight."

"Oh? Well... uh... okay then. Do you want to get a night's worth of clothes first while I say hi to the kids?"

I nodded, giving a little peck on his cheek. "They would be upset at me if you didn't say hi to them. Go ahead- I'll take my sweet time getting ready. Those kids really like, you know... I can't help but feel like... they see you as a major father figure."

"Apparently I'm the only guy that's over here a lot. Plus, I don't want to bring him up, but I am clearly better with the kids." Levi chuckled, walking in. "Are you guys behaving now?" Then those cheers of kids screaming his name followed...

*   *   *

Sitting in front of the TV in his apartment, things felt awkward. My knee wouldn't stop shaking as my hands wouldn't keep still. My eyes kept jumping from place to place- other than the TV. I could smell Levi's cooking- what did he say he was making?

"Hanji," he says softly, sitting next to me with a worried tone. "Something wrong?"

"Um... maybe it should wait-"

"No, I won't wait." His hand gripped onto mine tightly as he looked me in my eyes. "You've been acting strange... and I didn't want to bother you. I didn't want you to get mad at me... but right now, Hanji, I'm worried for you. What's wrong?"

My eyes darted to his hand with mine, and I sighed before looking at my stomach. "I've been told when I got into my first year at community college... I may not have kids. I have a few aunts and uncles- even fewer cousins. So I convinced myself I could never have kids myself. When I didn't have my period about 3 months ago, I got scared. But Nanaba somewhat convinced me that it was nothing but me skipping..."

"Hanji..." He called my name gently as I continued to speak.

"Levi... I got myself examined... there's no doubt about it... I-"

Levi cuts me off with a gentle smile on his face. He kissed my lips; gently reaching for my stomach with his hands. "S-Seriously...?" A soft chuckle here and there as he leaned into my chest. "I can't believe it..."

"I'm scared..."

"I'm here for you, okay?" Levi smiles, kissing me once more. "Let me go finish dinner, okay? Then we can eat... then I'll hold you forever in my arms. I won't leave you... I won't."