Chapter 2: Understanding

Levi's POV

"And you guys promise to call me- no matter what happens?" I asked as I gave them several of cards that had my name and phone number on it. There were some that tucked the card away in their jackets, and a few holding it close to their hearts. I've learned that Eren's companions, Armin and Mikasa, were part of his trio and followed him wherever he went. I haven't seen them yet...

One of the girls with blonde hair nodded slightly. "W-Will do! But... we usually go to Ms. Hanji for all of this... why don't we get her instead-"

For some reason, there a was a boy who scoffed a bit. "I bet it was Eren that got her all upset and she doesn't want to talk to us. After all, we took so long trying to look for that bastard!"

The girl gave a gasp, almost like she was about to cry. "Why are you calling him names like that? Ms. Hanji hates it when we call each other names... you're gonna make her feel worse... and I don't think her boyfriend likes it..."

I chuckled softly at that, nodding head. "When you say 'upset,' how upset does Ms. Hanji get then?"

"She just doesn't smile anymore. She gives a loud noise and tries to smile, but she doesn't really smile. It happens a lot with Eren. Whenever he does get into fights... whenever he does, he tries to hide from Ms. Hanji. He hates making her upset..."

It explains a bit of his behavior... he was reluctant to come home here because of making someone upset... but it still doesn't convince me. "Do you know where Eren is?"

The girl nodded her head. "He should be in his room... upstairs on the third floor-"

"Which number?"

"Oh, you know that?" She tilts her head, giving a long thought to the question. "Uhh... I can't remember which one... it's the boys' hall and I am a girl..."

"Bastard is in 204."

"Jean, stop calling him that!"

I shouldn't have left them in that position, but I did. My focuses had shifted onto Eren- if he truly got into a fight, I might be fighting for a battle lost at the beginning. If I can find answers, maybe it'll help on both sides. If I'm wrong about what's going on here... I'll have to apologize to the headmistress then. I assume that's Hanji.

Climbing upstairs to the second floor was nothing but nostalgic. I remember walking up and down these stairs when it was time to leave our rooms for either food or school. If anything, I tried to never leave my room as much as possible. Whenever I was bribed out, I found any place of isolation. I wonder if that trio ever found the hidden treehouse of mine...

Before I knocked on the door, I could hear muffled muttering behind room 204. 

"A-Are you sure, Eren?"

"If anything... yeah... do you hate the idea, Armin?"

"I'm not hating the idea... just dangerous... what if you hurt Ms. Hanji's feelings again? She'll be upset. Why don't you tell her about Carmen and her bullying? If anything, you were being bulled because of her, right?"

There was silence before I heard the girl speak. "Eren, she's still bullying you?"

"Leave it alone, you too." Eren gave a heavy growl as he spoke. "B-Besides, I can fight her off... especially her little boyfriend."

"So that's why-"

"He stole my painting for Ms. Hanji! What am I supposed to do?! Then he started saying that Armin was a big baby and stuff like that. They're all bullies... so when I fought him, he ripped the painting..."

"So you ran away?" I guess it was Armin saying this now because the tone of the voice changed. "Eren... Ms. Hanji wouldn't have gotten upset at you..."

"I promised her something... and I didn't want to upset her anymore... so I ran away..."

"You chose to run away to the police station?"

"No... I got lost and someone took me there..."

"Oh..."

I knocked on the door, clearing my throat slightly. "Eren? Are you in there?"

The door opened after a few pattering feet on the ground. Eren's head peeked out, smiling a bit. "Ah- Brother Levi!"

"I-I'm not-"

He had this mischievous smile on his face, almost giggling without making the noise. "I'm sorry for acting that way... I didn't want Ms. Hanji to be mad... but don't get mad at her too. She's really nice..."

"I have to do my job, Eren." He then rose some sort of object to me. "What is that?"

"A phone Ms. Hanji gave to us. We're supposed to use it for emergencies." Armin, the blonde boy, gave this confused look for some reason. "Can you put your number in here, please? So we can call you whenever we  need to?"

I smiled and chuckled. "Alright, fine."

Eren unlocked the phone and I typed the number in. "Thank you, Big Brother!"

I guess I won't ever lose that name of mine then. "No problem. I'll come back to check on you guys, okay? And I might call you guys on that number- what is the number to that phone?"

Eren told me and I started to turn away.

But that look he gave to me as I walked... sighing heavily, I turned back to him and pulled my hat off my head. I knelt down to the ground and tapped the head on his head. "Don't lose that, okay? I'm trusting you with this."

His face lit up brightly when I left him that hat. "T-Thank you!"

"Don't take it to school, okay?" I smiled and nodded my head before I left. "And... no problem. Just be safe and stay out of trouble." And that was that...