Chapter 17: All I Can Think Of...

Hanji's POV

Pulling up to the orphanage, the school bus had just pulled away. "Oh no, no, no, no!" I sighed heavily, shaking my head. "Missed it..."

Levi chuckled, smiling softly towards me. "Aw, do you want me to drive you to school? Since your education is so important to me..." The joke continued on for a little while. "What about it, Hanji?"

"Oh, shut up..." I gave a chuckle, shoving Levi in his shoulder. After realizing it, I began to panic. "I'm so sorry, Levi! Really, sorry!"

"Hanji, it's fine. At least I wasn't driving at a higher speed. I was just joking anyways." We finally pulled up and Levi stopped the car. "Either way, I'm sorry you didn't have the chance to say goodbye to the kids before they went off to school. But, it seems Nanaba's car is still there."

I nodded with confirmation, smiling a bit. "Alright. Well, I guess this is goodbye-"

"Hey, I can spare a few more minutes."

Why did I blush again...? "Aren't you going to be late for your work? You don't need to..." Yet, Levi got out of the driver's seat. He walked around the front of the car with a smug smile on his face. "Come on, Levi-"

He chuckles softly as he opened the passenger car with a smile on his face. "Come on what? I want to see you off."

"L-Levi..."

He helps me out, caressing my cheek with the back of his hand. "I'll come back after my shift. Do you want me to pick something up before I come here? You know I'll bring you something. Whatever you want-"

"It's... it's too much, Levi." I confessed, leaning into his warm chest. "Levi... it's too much. Listen, I really do appreciate you, but uh... I don't know- something's a little off, don't you think so?"

"Off?"

I nodded, just leaning into his warmth. My arms wrapped around him... and I didn't want him to go. Just standing outside, I wished I could have Levi to myself. I don't want to leave him... I don't want him to go. Jeez, how far I've fallen.

"You know... I've never met another woman like you... and I'll be happy to be by your side. So if I do something wrong, tell me. Okay?" I nodded in response as I just began to breathe in his scent. It wasn't strong, but it was a very sweet smelling-cologne. Levi then kisses me on the cheek, chuckling. "Want me to walk you to the door?"

"Please..."

He did just that. Held me by his side as he walked me down to the door. Silence filled the air, and I just... wanted to buy time. Not long until we reached the door and Levi pulled me to the side. "Alright then. We're here."

I smiled, leaning down to kiss him on his lips. "Thanks..."

"I promise, I'll be back."

"Okay..."

Just before he left, he whispered into my ear, "I love you, Hanji..." And kissed me back. I watched him leave down the path and into his car. A few glances back towards me... his cold-hearted shield was now gone. All I can see is his warm, fiery glow.

*   *   *

"Oh, Hanji, I'm heading out now- Hanji?"

Apparently being slumped over on the couch is something that Nanaba thinks as... unusual. "Huh? I'm awake?" I responded, turning onto my side to watch TV. "I heard you- I'll lock up for you. Go to class."

She shook her head, chuckling slightly. "Man, what did that Levi guy do to you last night...? I kinda want to know..."

"We didn't do anything!"

"I can't buy that. Anyways- I'll be back in a few hours! See ya!"

She left without another word, but left with chuckles and head shakes. We... we really didn't do anything but cuddle and sleep with each on the couch. Nothing like that... we didn't do anything like that.

Though... thinking about it... I have to tell Levi about the fact I may not have kids. I hope... what Nanaba said to me before... I hope Levi does care for me and only me. Not the fact I'll be a child factory or something similar. Maybe I should've mentioned it last night when we were talking about ourselves... maybe I just grew scared.

When I grew bored of watching TV, my mind kept thinking of Levi. Somehow... I always end up looking at his phone number, wondering if I should call him... ugh... I... I hate this feeling. The thought of being clingy haunts my mind... maybe that's what pushed Erwin to the edge... how do I know Levi wouldn't be the same...

Then... it happened...

"Hey, Hanji." The text message first started. "I was wondering... how much do you like sweets?"

"Oh... my dear short midget..." I chuckled beginning to reply. "You seem to read my mind... I missed you too..."