Chapter 14: Not A Mistake

Levi's POV

Such an irritable tapping on the table next to me. Since it was Farlan's desk, I never really had to look up and give a scowl. All the time, he would scoff and continue tapping his pen- practically ignoring me. Like a little speck of dust hidden away on his desk. But enough was enough. With the constant chatter of the phones ringing and other people's dramas- this was enough.

Pushing myself away from my desk, I turned to face Farlan with my fists clenched. My words trailed out of my mouth without control. "You damn idiot-"

When did Hanji appear there?

The startled face she had was... interesting. Of course, she was sitting at Farlan's desk with a bag of... cookies on her lap. Tilting her head like a puppy, she gave such a smug smile. "H-Hanji?! W-What the hell-"

She then picked up the bag, holding it in front of me. "Wanted to surprise you with these. Like a little thank you for all of your help. And before you ask... I couldn't wait until you came back from your work. I got bored from doing all the research within the orphanage."

"Research?"

Hanji nodded her head, giving me such a slick smile. "Oh, I know everything about you, Levi Kenny Ackerman."

"Where did you get my middle name from? Don't ever call me by my middle name."

Sometimes, I wonder how people can handle others with such a childlike mind. Almost as if there was a switch in their brains. Flipping from being childish and babyish to being completely scary and serious self. All with just a flip of a switch. I only asked because Hanji swirled around on the computer chair, giggling to herself.

"Like I said, I did research. You dropped so many hints about you living there. You and Farlan. You really wanted to help Eren and the others here, which is why you stayed there a lot more than you needed to. You... didn't want to tell me a lot about this place... that, I wonder why, Levi. But- I wanted to both surprise you and apologize to you with a bag of cookies. Enjoy."

"Hanji..." I take the bag of cookies, feeling it slightly warm. The brand... Rose's Famous Cookies... "You went out of town to get these cookies? That's a little over 45 minute drive there, Hanji. And these cookies- I know they cost like $20 per medium bag. Why these ones? I'm not that special."

She looked away- and I blame the lighting in this station. Why? I could've sworn her cheeks were red. "Ahh... well..."

But I waved that away. Instead, I opened the bag and took a bite into the warm and gooey chocolate chip cookies. These were truly a delicacy that I wouldn't waste 45 minutes out there to get these cookies. Yet Hanji spent over an hour to go there and come back. 

I smiled softly, finishing the cookie I had pulled out of the bag. "But," I began, looking towards her. "I appreciate the gesture. Here, it's only fair you get one cookie."

"Ah- but I don't want to- I uh... I actually had one of their giant cookies before coming here. Y-Yeah- that's right- I almost forgot about it. Ah... haha..." Such a corny chuckle as I knew she was completely lying. Honestly, I know when she lies half of the time. "Don't worry about me."

"You always seem to make me worry."

"Um... what?"

"Nothing. J-Just ignore it." Darting away from her, I could feel such a tingly feeling in my cheek and ears. I wish I would know what was happening with them. 

To my side, I could partially see Hanji scooting herself closer to me. "You're turning red, you know? Huh... are you getting warm or something... or perhaps just embarrassed?" Hanji chuckles, laying her chin on the desk. I could see her glasses from the corner of my eye poking into my vision. "Levi..."

My mother said I always had sensitive skin- so when Hanji started to poke me in my sides, it felt like daggers being thrusted into me.

"Hey, hey..."

"Hanji- stop it." Even though it pained me, I continued to smile. Finally, I looked towards her. I shouldn't be doing this. But... this may have been my only chance. 

I lost all control of myself... and I reached for her chin. Just as I was surprised by my sudden movements, I could see that reddish color on Hanji's cheeks. What am I even doing? Like I was pulled back and just watching this play out as some cliché movie... a cliché romance movie... 

"I said... stop it..."

Then... it finally happened. Her lips on mine. I expected her to push me back or call me names for making such a bold move on her. Yet she never did that. Her arms crept around my waist, and she pulled me closer. I felt her force pushing my head back as she returned the kiss. Maybe... it was a successful bold move of mine.

After the little kiss, we pulled back. Our eyes remaining closed... 

Surrounding us, what I heard was nothing but silence. Like time had stopped just for us.

"Looks like I won the bet." I heard Farlan's voice chirping in. "Hah, don't worry, Isabel, I'll use your money for a good use. Hey, hey- Kristan, don't try to hide. You owe me for me winning the bet."

"What's that I hear?" Hanji asks quietly, smiling a bit. "A bet?"

"I had no part in it, Hanji... just do what I do... just ignore them..." I held her hands tightly, never wanting to let her go. But I had to... "Don't worry, I'll come back tonight. Maybe you can leave the kids to Nanaba and we can go out tonight."

"Where?"

"Anywhere you want me to take you..."

"I would... I would like to see your apartment. You haven't been there for quite awhile, right? I would like to see what you're like in your apartment."

"How I'm like in my apartment? Don't make it sound so dirty, Hanji."

She chuckles softly, rubbing her thumbs on my hands. "I meant... you can tell a lot just by how their apartment is... that's all. I do want to learn a bit more about you, Levi... so all night, I want to learn all about you. Your hobbies... your favorites... your past..."

"Then, I want to know a lot of things about you in return."

"Deal..."

Then, we kissed once more. This time, I know for sure... this was not a mistake. Some could say... it's destiny...