Chapter 7: Call Out

Erwin's POV

"Levi..." Before I left, I memorized the license plate. Now that it's morning, I would make my trek to the police station to figure out who this guy was. I seem like the bad guy, but I want to make sure Hanji wasn't going to get caught up in a mess such as that. "Whoever you are... what did you want?"

As expected, it was nearly empty. A few officers were wandering around- clacking at their computers. To one of them... he was standing near the entrance- almost like he was waiting for someone. He was the one who caught my attention and went to deal with me. I don't know his name, but he clearly knew who I was.

"Ah, Mr. Smith," he began, "how can we help you today?"

"Just needed a bit of information."

This officer gave a nod, gesturing me to follow him with a few twitches of his hand. "Alright then. Follow me to my desk. I'll help you there." Following him, it was almost like a maze- but I made it to his desk. He pulled up a chair, having a smirk as he took it away from another desk. Gestured me to sit, I did so. "So, how can I help you?"

"Just needed some help on a license plate and a name."

"Hit it."

"The name would be Levi, though I don't know how it's actually spelled..." He continued to type, then I proceeded to give him the license plate number. That's when he paused. "Is something wrong, officer?"

"Out of curiosity," he swiveled his chair to face me, expressing confusion on his face, "have you happened to see what he looked like? What about his car? Where was this?"

Utterly confused, I began to call him out on all of this. "I thought you're supposed to help me. Do you recognize who I'm talking about? Who is he? Do you know what business he has with my girlfriend?" I continued to spit out question after question. 

This officer tried to hide his snickers, looking at the mirrors that lined the edges of the building. "I know exactly who he is. Though I'm surprised... he's normally loyal, so I wouldn't think he was trying to steal your girlfriend, Mr. Smith. I mean, I know I told him to open himself up- did not think he was going to go after someone who was taken."

"Who is this man?"

Just then, there was another officer appearing next to me. A cold scoff and a angered growl. "Farlan, where's my chair?"

"Oh, hi Levi." Could this guy be... "This guy, Mr. Erwin Smith, was looking for information about you. Apparently you're hitting on his girlfriend? Shame, shame, Levi. Going after a taken woman."

Levi scowled at me as he put his things on the table. "Girlfriend? I have no idea who he's talking about."

"Her name would be Hanji. Hanji Zoe. It shouldn't be that hard to recognize her first name. It's amazingly rare and beautiful. I just need to know why you were there, Levi." I didn't dare call him by his title as an officer. Could Hanji be taking a liking to officers?

He scuffled a bit, glaring at me. "I was there to help with the kids that stayed there. I had my own business to attend to- I used my free-time, mind you, to take care of kids that needed my help. I did a good job- considering the kids didn't do anything terrible to me as I slept. Did she not explain it to you?"

"She briefly gave me an explanation."

"Why don't you ask her personally without going behind her back like that?" He shook his head, grunting a bit more. It truly seems like he didn't have any intentions of doing anything to Hanji... but I still shouldn't let my guard down. "Besides, you rather talk to her about it before I do."

"Why-"

"I promised to visit those brats again later on. Of course, I would have to meet Hanji. Would you prefer it if I talk to her about her boyfriend talking to me in a threatening way? I don't care if you're some hot-shot- I'm very protective of myself."

In a way, I must've seen this as...

"Hurry up and answer me. I need to do my work. Since Farlan gave you the only chair around him, I would like my chair back."

Nodding to my defeat, I left those two officers. Only leaving them with, "Sorry about that," before officially leaving. Cracking my windows open, I watched my phone dimming every few seconds as I stared at the contact number. Should I call her? I should... but what would her reaction be if I told her?

If I told her that I went to figure out who Levi was, Hanji's rage of investigating into her choice of friends... I would never hear the end of it. She'll most likely calm down... but her trust in me would diminish. Maybe not that route.

On the other hand, if I hid it from her, I would be attempting to call out Levi's bluff. His bluff would either be helpful for me... or turn against me.

Say he wasn't lying and told Hanji about me investigating him... Hanji would get suspicious and start doubting words I'll say. Though I am truthful with her... hiding this fact from her wouldn't be the better route than the first.

But if he was bluffing and wouldn't dare tell Hanji... I think that would be the best outcome. It's a hefty gamble there... but the outcome would prove to be the most difficult to obtain. 3 outcomes... at least 33% of one of them becoming good... 66% would be destruction of my relationship with Hanji.

Am I making the right call? 

Suddenly with the buzz of my phone, I saw Miche's number calling me. I answer it, hoping to tell Hanji later on. At least Hanji would know of my honesty if I told her the truth- and nothing but the truth. I'm gambling my hopes that she forgives me...