Chapter 3: Wrong Number?

Levi's POV

Tick tock, tick tock. Lunch was nearby, and all I can think of is that kid... Eren... gazing towards my phone, I could take my hour lunch and visit them on my break... but would it count as my job or personal reasons? Only one other option I could think of... calling them. Eren said the phone he had was for emergencies... and I did want to check in on them...

Whatever... what do I have to lose? 

Ring... ring... ring...

It was the voice that I never expected. "Hanji Zoe speaking."

Why... why did she pick up? I stayed silent, planning out what I should do next. Hang up like nothing happened? But wait... this was exactly the phone number I inputted from what Eren said... unless... did that brat give me their headmistress' phone number? 

"Um... Levi, right?"

How did she know my name as well?

I coughed a bit, trying to deepen my voice. "Wrong number." Maybe that threw her off my tail... but she immediately called me back.

Watching it hit to voicemail every single time. She didn't stop calling me. I had to turn my phone on vibrate mode. Yet that didn't stop Farlan from looking over at me with such a grin on his troublesome face.

"Women problems? Men problems? What?"

I scoffed off, shaking my head. "Leave it alone. They have the wrong number."

"Some wrong number if you said stated it to them... and they're continuing to call you back. How about I take that phone call for you-"

"No." My stern voice popped out of me suddenly; my heart suddenly skipped a beat because of what Farlan would be walking into. "Don't answer it. It'll trigger them more than it needs to."

"Levi, how long have I known you?" There as no time to answer his rhetorical question. "I've known you too long. I know you inside and out. I know you'll give that broad, angry tone whenever you're annoyed. But right now... you're showing that you're just... taken aback? I've never seen that before... are you seeing someone right now?"

"No, I'm not."

"Hm..." Gears continued to turn in his head.

"Shut up. It's nothing."

"Pick up that phone."

"I won't."

Farlan rolled his eyes, finally going back to his work. "Your loss. One day, you'll be sad and lonely- not like you are at the moment. You just have Isabel and I... how long until you'll go insane with just us?"

He left me alone with that question in my head. The buzzing soon stopped... Hanji probably gave up. But stewing in that question... I left my desk with my phone and went outside to the fresh air. Paranoid a bit, I looked around in my surroundings. No one.

Ring... ring... ring...

"So..." Her voice came out softly with a bit of confusion. "I call over 5 times to figure out what happened... all heading towards nothing... and after I give up, you call me back?"

"I was in a conversation with someone else."

"Uh huh..." Clearing her throat, Hanji slowly speaks. "Anyways... why did you really call me? I'm sure it wasn't because of a wrong number- hell of a chance, huh? Investigating me and suddenly call my number?"

I sighed heavily, explaining what happened with Eren and the phone thing. "Well... I was giving them my phone number and asked for a number that they had on the phone that you gave to them for emergencies. And-"

"Wait, wait... what phone?"

"If I remember, it had a bronze-colored case and-"

"That's my phone. There's only one other phone that doesn't' belong to staff and it's that classic phone by the front door. We only use that for the kids to play with- as it doesn't work anymore... Eren used my phone..."

"Brat..." I scoffed, shaking my head. "Sorry for calling then."

"Wait-" She called out right before I clicked the 'hang up' button. "Are you coming later on today? If you were trying to call Eren and the kids, I figure that you would want to see them. If you are... I might leave the kids with you and Nanaba, I have plans tonight... and I originally wanted Nanaba to watch them, but if-"

"I don't mind watching tonight. I don't do much after I'm done working anyways."

If I could see a smile on her face, it would be there. "I'm so sorry for bothering you."

"It's not a bother. I think I'll enjoy watching those kids. It might convince me to think otherwise about the investigation. I just need to be sure- that's all. Hopefully you do understand..."

"I understand. One, it's your job. Two, you're a good person to be focusing on those kids. So I completely understand, Levi- or should I just call you officer because that's what you are... sorry if I'm completely informal."

Waving my hand, I gave a slight chuckle. "I don't care for formalities. You're completely fine to call me by my first name. As long as you don't give me nicknames. Then that's when the tides will change, okay?"

"Alright then." Awkward pause between us... she soon spoke later on. "I'll see you tonight before I leave you with the kids?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Goodbye."

She had that... interesting laugh before she told me, "Goodbye," and hung up. 

I was left standing with my phone dangling by my side. Why was it like this? I wanted to distance myself away... but I can't stay away. I just can't. Something draws me back home... and I can't understand it anymore. That home... why do I go back there now? Years after living there... I'm back there again.