TEN

warning: drug overdose

Saturday was here and we weren't on case, meaning I was going to meet the girls at the bar as soon as I finished getting ready. My face was still bruised, but it was nothing a little denial mixed with concealer couldn't fix.

I had never actually hung out with the women of the team without Morgan. He just seemed to materialize wherever Penelope went, especially when alcohol and dancing was involved.

But tonight, it was just us. At the bar, we sat at a high-top table, giant fruity drinks in our hands, laughing our asses off. I was having so much fun despite the slight twinge of regret that it took me so long to join them on a girl's night.

During a lull in the conversation, my mind drifted to Spencer. Likely due to all of the practice, he had become skilled in the art of dodging me. I knew that my constant bothering wouldn't help the situation, so I tried to give him as much space as possible in the hopes he would get over whatever it was that was bothering him. I reached into my purse and pulled out my phone.

Three missed calls. All from Spencer.

I excused myself to the bathroom, calling him on the way. He answered but didn't say anything.

"Spencer? Is everything alright?"

"Y/n... I... I messed up. Bad." I could barely hear him on the other end of the line between the loud music in the bar and his shallow breathing directly into the microphone.

"What'd you do?"

"Can you just... can you just please come over," his words slurred together, and I started to get worried.

"Yeah, I'll be over soon." I left the little area outside of the bathrooms and walked back over to JJ, Prentiss, and Garcia. "Well, ladies, I think it's about time I call it a night."

"Party pooper! Stay for a little bit longer!" Garcia begged.

"I'm sorry, I really can't. I'll see all of you on Monday!" I walked away as fast as I could so they wouldn't have time to ask why I was leaving in such a hurry.

I jumped in an Uber and went to Spencer's. When I knocked on his door, he didn't answer. The anxiety started building in my chest. I knocked again. Still no answer.

The door was unlocked, so I walked in, announcing myself as I dropped my purse on the couch. I still didn't hear anything. Why would he tell me to come over and then disappear? I checked the kitchen – maybe he was cooking and didn't hear me?

Still no sign of Spencer.

It wasn't until I found him sitting on the floor of his bathroom, head thrown back, eyes barely opened, that I put together the pieces: the erratic behavior, defensiveness and lashing out combined with his slurred words from earlier, "I messed up." My eyes raked over his body and saw tiny bruises up and down his forearms.

He was using again. Prentiss was right.

"Spencer!" I shouted. "Spencer wait, stay awake please don't go to sleep!" I shook his shoulders as I whipped out my phone from my back pocket, dialing 911.

"911 what is your emergency?"

"I need an ambulance. My friend is overdosing on..." I scrambled to find whatever it was he used. "...Hydromorphone, h-he's overdosing on hydromorphone please send help quick."

"Y/n... I'm... sorry," Spencer breathed out as his eyes rolled back into his head.

"No, Spence, don't apologize, you're gonna be alright. Help is on the way, just please stay with me."