TWELVE

warning: nsfw

I woke up under a blanket, alone, on the couch. Did I – or we – really sleep out here? I was overwhelmed with embarrassment at my vulnerability from the night before. Mixed with that embarrassment was a feeling of relief that I had finally allowed Spencer to see where I lived, where I spent almost all of my free time. My apartment symbolized the happiest parts of me. It was my refuge.

That metaphorical wall had finally crumbled, and I left no regret in the rubble. However, one more wall – the biggest of them all – still remained.

I heard the closing of cupboards and drawers coming from my kitchen. I found him in there, making a pot of coffee. This vision before me was so utterly domestic. It looked like he belonged here.

Leaning against the doorway watching him search for mugs, I promised myself that one day, hopefully soon, I would give him a sledgehammer so that together we could tear down the last one.

"Morning, Spence," I smiled, trying not to startle him.

"Good morning! How're you feeling?" He was especially cheery for it being so early in the morning.

"I'm better. And uh- thank you for coming over last night, too."

"Do you wanna tell me what happened?" He looked over at me with such an innocent, hopeful expression. The second I tell him the truth; I know that'll change. Selfishly, I don't want to be the one to cause his face to darken under the weight of my words. Not this morning, at least. I just wanted to pretend it didn't exist this morning.

"Not really. N-Not right now, at least. But I will eventually. I promise." He handed me a mug full of coffee and we just stood in silence for a while as we both sipped on the hot liquid.

I'm thankful that he seemed to just accept what I told him without resistance. It wasn't fair that I had forced him to come over and sleep on my tiny couch without so little as an explanation to why. Just as I would do anything for him, he seemed willing to do that and more for me.

Having driven here himself last night, he left after finishing his coffee so he could stop back home before work. Today was going to be his first day back.

----

I looked up from the files in front of me just as Spencer walked through the glass doors. He was immediately squashed in a hug from Garcia that was so tight I thought he might pop.

"Welcome back, pretty boy. We missed ya." I heard Morgan say as he patted his shoulder.

I remained at my desk as I watched them chat and catch him up on the goings-on of the BAU from when he was gone. While JJ was talking, his eyes flashed over to me and he smiled a silent greeting from across the bullpen. Butterflies erupted in my stomach as I blushed and smiled back. I had literally just seen him an hour ago after he spent the night holding me in his arms. Why did he suddenly make me so nervous?

Luckily, we didn't have a case today. I couldn't have been happier by the time lunch rolled around. I was so excited to finally get to spend it with my favorite genius.

"Alright, let's get it going," I motioned to the miniature chess set on his desk as I fell down into a chair and unpacked my lunch.

He smiled and set his work aside. "Are you actually going to try and play, though?"

I feigned surprise as I responded with as much innocence as I could muster. "Dr. Spencer Reid, are you suggesting I'm not trying to learn what you're so generously spending your lunch breaks to teach me?"