EIGHT

warning: nsfw

We left for Quantico the next evening because we had to stay and help the locals tie up the loose ends. Well, the team did. I spent most of the day at the hospital getting checked out. The jet ride was silent as the whole team processed the events of the past 24 hours.

Spencer sat across from me and leaned his head on his palm, closing his eyes.

I moved my leg to touch his under the table. My heart filled with an unnatural warmth as I saw a smile tug at his lips. I knew we still needed to talk about our fight. I don't know if he had forgiven me – or ever would – but at least he wasn't ignoring me anymore.

I rested my head back against the seat and stared out the window, letting my mind wander freely.

For the first time in years, I allowed myself to think of a future with another person in it. I imagined what it would be like to be with him. Actually with him. I fantasized about the feeling of his arms wrapped around me as he woke me up in the morning with a kiss to the top of my head. What our wedding would be like, how we would decorate our house, if we would have kids and how many.

I let my dream be just that – a dream. But dreams end when we wake up, and I came careening back down to reality once the jet landed.

Spencer opened his eyes at the sudden shaking as the plane made contact with the runway. He looked at me with a glimmer of hope in his eyes as Hotch instructed all of us to take tomorrow off.

Without saying a word, Spencer and I made our way off the jet and towards the parking garage where my car was. I playfully tossed him my keys as we approached my car. I was on a surprising number of painkillers and figured it was better I didn't drive just yet.

Despite my almost perfect throw, he fumbled the catch and let them fall through his hands.

We got in my car and I noticeably saw him struggle a bit to depress the clutch and put the car in gear.

"You got it?"

"Yeah, I uh- I've never driven a manual car before. I know the theory behind-" The car lurched forward and made a clunking noise as he stalled it.

His face turned bright red with embarrassment, and I burst out laughing.

We made it back to his place in one piece, though the drive was rough. I kind of felt bad for how much pleasure I derived from watching him stall my car over and over.

We walked inside, I dropped my bags on the floor, and sauntered down the hallway to his room. I flopped on the bed and burrowed under his comforter.

Spencer stood in the doorway and watched me snuggle up to his empty side of the bed.

"Are you gonna join me or just stand there?" I giggled.

He walked over to the bed and slowly flipped up the corner before sliding under the comforter. I was like an ice cube, melting in the warmth of his arms around me until I was nothing but a puddle.

"Hey, Spence, can we talk?" I nuzzled into his chest.

"Mhm."

"I-I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am."

"I know, you don't have to tell me."

"No, listen, I do. I do have to tell you." I held both sides of his face and looked into his eyes. "Spencer, I'm so unimaginably sorry. I messed up and I never meant to hurt you. If I could take it all back I would, in a heartbeat."