chapter seventy-three

"okay, you ready?" ben held his hands over eliana's eyes as they walked down the street.
"i just wanna be able to see." she grumbled.
"okay...3, 2..." he took his hands away, and she gasped. "no way! hamilton?"
"david got me tickets." he grinned and intertwined their fingers. "let's go."

bentylercook: little date night with my @elianadempsey12,788 comments

12,788 comments

eliana sat up in the middle of the night, breathing heavily.
"sweetheart, are you okay?" ben mumbled, his voice still sleepy. she shook her head. "i guess, i'm-" a lump formed in her throat. ben sat up and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "what's up?"
"i just, watching that tonight, it scares me."
"what?"
"not being remembered." she said. "it sounds selfish, but i don't want to just fade into the background when i'm gone."
"it's not selfish at all." he said. "you want to make an impact on something."
she went quiet for a minute.
"and i don't know why, but when philip died, it-it reminded me of my dad. the melody in it's quiet uptown, it sounded just like something he used to play for me." eliana blinked tears away. "i..."
"ellie, talk to me."
"i don't remember him, ben." she whispered as a single tear fell down her face. "i have to look at pictures to see what he looks like. i don't know what his voice sounded like."
"you were so little, sweetheart-"
"how are people supposed to remember me if i can't even remember my own dad?" she sobbed. without a word, ben shifted closer and just held her for a while.
"i'm sure he's proud of you." he moved to look at her face. "hey, look at me."
her green eyes met his blue ones.
"people are going to remember you, sweetheart. you're at the top of your sport, you're the most beautiful girl i've ever seen, and you're the love of my life."
eliana was silent again.
"i love you." she finally said.
"i love you too." he smiled and kissed her on the forehead. "now, let's get some sleep, please."
she snuggled into his side and he pulled the covers back over both of them.