chapter ninety-seven

the uneven bars were the last event for the usa, and eliana was the last one to go. ben bounced his leg, his chin sitting on the palms of his hands as he leaned forward, watching her as she sprayed the bars.

this was it.

the judge's green light flashed, so she smiled and saluted before turning to face the low bar. and, before she knew it, eliana was letting go of the high bar, twisting in the air. her feet slammed to the ground, unmoving as she steadied her weight and threw her hands up.

the crowd immediately roared, and the rest of the team met her at the edge of the mats as she jumped back down to them. she bit her lip nervously and took her grips off, staring up at the screen with bated breath.

the scoreboard changed, and there it was.

usa-uneven bars: dempsey, eliana-16.563

they had done it. eliana beamed and hugged her team, and they hopped up to the mats, waving to the crowd. cally waved them in, and whispered something as the cameras tried to get into their circle. they put their hands in center, and cally grinned. "ready? one, two, three..."

"we are the final five!"

elianadempsey: hey siri play the golden girls theme song51,678 comments     user1: caption😂     lolchez: ❤️❤️     soph

51,678 comments
     user1: caption😂
     lolchez: ❤️❤️
     soph.hanigann: still freaking out ahh
        user2: same
     skyflaherty_: i cried. i really did.
        joshuaburrage: we all cried tbh
        jordansamftw: yeah that checks out
     user3: that final five moment really
     WAS magic
     bentylercook: 😭🤩
     cally.federline: @grace_york and i like
     "been there done that"
        grace_york: HAHA