chapter six

eliana got off the train on her block and unlocked her front door.

"ellie?" her mom calls. "is that you?"

"yeah." she replied, throwing her gym bag next to the door. her mom came into the foyer. "it's only ten to five."

"coach easton showed up and we got into it." she explained. her mom sighed. "about what?"

eliana kicked her shoes off and hung up her jacket. "he tried to tell me that i wasn't allowed to see the boy i went out with again."

her mom crossed her arms. "so, you're willing to risk your entire gymnastics career for a boy you met yesterday?"

"that's not what i said."

"that's what it sounds like." she said. "el, i've put too much time and money into gymnastics for you to throw it away like this. frankly, it's ridiculous."

"it was one date."

"your father wouldn't be-"

eliana cracked her knuckles as angry tears sprang to her eyes. "don't bring dad into this. you know he only wanted me to be happy."

"he wanted you to be successful."

"you don't get it, do you?" her voice rose to a yell. "i just want a life outside of a gym!" she stormed up the stairs and slammed her bedroom door shut.

it didn't take ben long to find eliana's instagram. her most recent post was just from the night before, a picture of the newsies marquee.

elianadempsey: saw my first musical tonight and i was not disappointed! these newsie boys are TALENTED!! thanks for the invite, ben tyler cook :)

the post had thousands of likes and comments, and she had over a million followers. ben clicked on the message button, and tried to think of something to say.

hey, how was training today?

too casual. he deleted it.

  guess we made the news :)

what if she got in trouble for it?

what's up? i was gonna text you, and
then i realized i didn't get your number

it wasn't perfect, but it would have to do.

eliana's phone buzzed. she ignored it. two minutes later, it goes off again. she groaned and rolled out of bed. pain shot through her elbow as she grabbed her phone from the nightstand.

it had been bothering her all day, and she winced as she bent her arm. her screen lit up with two notifications.

instagram: bentylercook followed you
instagram: message from bentylercook

she smiled and opened the message.

bentylercook: what's up? i was gonna
text you, and then i realized i didn't get
your number
elianadempsey: oh heyyy! did u see
we made the headlines👀

she put her phone down and slowly moved her elbow, trying to ignore the pain.

ben practically dove for his phone when it vibrated. sky snorted a little bit, and ben looked up at him. "what?"

"nothing." sky chuckled. "it's just funny that you're already tripping over this girl."

"i am not." ben said. "i'm just excited to talk to her."

sky raise his eyebrows, and ben went to reply to her message.

bentylercook: we're famous
bentylercook: well you're already
famous but you get the idea😂
elianadempsey: no pictures please
what do you wanna do tomorrow?

sky peeked over ben's shoulder. "ohh, you're hanging out again?"

"yeah. i think she just wants to chill, though."

bentylercook: i'm down to just hang out,
you?
elianadempsey: same here. i'm gonna
have to take it easy training tomorrow,
so i'll probably be done by one if you
wanna come by the gym
bentylercook: i'm there :)

they texted back and forth until ben's second show began, and eliana had to start her schoolwork.