chapter twenty

saturday, march 14
     "ellie said some really weird stuff the other day." ben said. the boys were hanging out in their dressing room in between shows, just relaxing.
"when she was sorta drunk?" sky asked. demarius gasped. "little eliana dempsey drinks?"
ben sighed. "not much, i guess. i think she had one or two, just enough that she was a little tipsy."
"what did she say?" demarius asked. "any juicy secrets about team usa?"
"no." ben shook his head, thinking. "she said she hadn't eaten solid food in three weeks."
he reeled back. "three weeks? that's so unsafe, especially for her."
"i don't know if she was just out of it, or what..." ben trailed off.
"what else did she say?"
"she said the coaches called her fat the last time she was there, and that 'it wouldn't be gymnastics if they were nice.'"
"she trains with the károlyis, right?" sky asked. "aren't they from, like, russia or something?"
"romania." demarius corrected. "they're known for being super harsh."
"even if it's their coaching style or whatever, it's not right." ben said. sky shrugged. "dude, if she's been dealing with this for so long, she's probably used to it."
"they shouldn't talk to her that way. she's the best they have, she should be treated with respect." ben said defiantly.
"you're not gonna change anything, benjamin. if it really bothers you that much, talk to her about it." demarius said.
"i don't wanna make her uncomfortable. i'll just wait until after her competition."