chapter seventy-nine

bentylercook: the intermission stairwell crew

bentylercook: the intermission stairwell crew. only one more act left of the little show that could🐸☀️
15,299 comments

"what the hell, ben?" eliana answered the phone two hours later, very angry.
"ellie, i'm sorry, i-"
"why didn't you tell me? when did you find out?"
"tuesday." he said quietly.
"tuesday?" she yelled. "how many times have we called since then? five? six?"
ben sighed. "i was gonna tell you, but, sweetheart, you're so busy, and i didn't want to give you something else to think about."
"ben, this isn't something you just don't tell me." she calmed down a little bit, her voice returning to its normal volume. "this is a big thing. you don't have a job anymore."
"yeah, no shit." he said.
"oh, don't you dare give me that sarcasm. it's not cute right now." she said.
"i'm sorry, i..." ben sighed. "i seriously just didn't want you to worry about me."
"i am worrying about you. you've been acting weird all week."
"yeah."
"honestly, ben, this worries me way less than what i thought was happening."
"what did you think?"
she cracked her knuckles. "i don't know. i guess-i guess i thought you had met someone else."
the other end went quiet for a moment, then ben started to laugh. "ellie, what the fuck?"
"what?"
"you're saying that like i could even find someone else attractive."
eliana blushed. "oh, come on. what about jessica? she's pretty."
"and twelve years older than me." he said, very matter of fact.
"okay, bad example." she thought for a moment. "steph styles!"
"she's like my sister." ben made a retching noise.
"what about becca?"
"again, like my sister." he laughed. "you realize i'm just gonna keep saying no, right?"
"i know, i know." she giggled. "anyway, now that i'm done being mad at you, what are you gonna do with yourself?"
"audition. like, so many auditions. i need a job. my apartment is not cheap."
she giggled. "well, yeah, but maybe during the month of august, granted a july event goes the way i want it to."
ben laughed. "i'll try my best. let me look at travel costs and everything."
"okay." she smiled. "i'll let you go. you sound tired."
"yeah, a little." he yawned.
"i'm sorry for flipping out on you."
"it's okay. it's really my fault for not telling you."
"i love you."
"i love you too, sweetheart. i'll call you tomorrow." he said.
"okay. bye." she hung up with a sigh, and lola poked her head into the room. "you guys okay?"
"were you listening the whole time?"
"i mean, you were yelling for a little." she said sheepishly. eliana just rolled her eyes. "you're so nosy."
"hey, i was just making sure my favorite couple's okay." she laughed.