chapter seventy-eight

"girls." márta surveyed the line of gymnasts in front of her. "you have done very good this week, but some of you will not be asked back." she looked down at the clipboard in her hands. the tension was palpable as she paused, and even eliana was nervous.
"wendy patel, hannah griffin, elizabeth smith, violet daniels, and jenna wyndham." she looked up again. "you will not be joining us next month."
there were immediate sniffles and muffled sounds from the girls whose names had just been called.
"the rest of you," márta continued, "i will see you back here after p and g championships. you are dismissed."
"oh my god." lola whispered as the five of them walked towards the doors together.
"i can't believe she got kicked out."
"what happened?" sophie asked.
"i heard she fell on beam." grace said.
"how many times?"
"once is enough." cally said. "if she cracked under the pressure, then she's done."
eliana looked over to the girl who had talked to her just a couple days before. there were tear tracks on her face, and she wiped at her nose as she pulled a jacket on.
"i feel bad for her." eliana said. "she seemed really sweet."
"on the other hand, i have no idea how phoebe's still here." sophie said, a hint of disgust in her voice. "i swear, she just doesn't go away."
"i know." eliana rolled her eyes. "she's like, 24."
"hey!" cally feigned offense. "i'm 24."
"yeah, you're also cally federline."
"true." she laughed.

"oh, wow, i missed your face." ben grinned. "how was it?"
"i think i really impressed márta." eliana nodded. "i got the nabieva in a connection with the shaposh, and stuck the triple double with the fluff mat."
he blinked at her, still smiling. "i understood all of those words separately."
"i did the nabieva, then a pak salto, then right into the shaposh."
"okay." he nodded.
"and i landed the triple double dismount on the big mat."
"oh!" he grinned. "got it."
"phoebe sinclair is somehow still scraping by at these."
ben gave her a look. "don't even get me started."
"you don't have time to get started." she laughed. "it's six, you should go."
ben groaned. "ugh. i hate working."
"no you don't." she giggled.
"alright. i love you." ben held his hand up in a heart shape, and she did the same.
"see ya."

bentylercook: ❤️🥰20,745 comments

bentylercook: ❤️🥰
20,745 comments