11 | The Grandfather

The Grandfather

The Grandfather

"Dad, you called me?" Avinash asked as he entered his father's office. Matthew had called him for something very important. Avinash was tense for a moment when his father called him urgently.

"Avinash, I was waiting for you, come sit," Matthew said calmly and made his son sit in front of him. Avinash was skeptical about his father's behaviour but didn't argue. He quietly sat on one of the chairs, in front of Matthew.

"What's wrong, Dad?"

"What's right, Son?" Matthew shot back and laughed bitterly. Matthew seemed quite tense and angry. Avinash was bewildered.

"Dad, Are you okay?" Avinash's worry for his father grew each passing second looking at his behaviour. It felt like his father was not like himself anymore.

"I am but I need to make somethings okay"

"Cut it out dad, tell me what happened"

"I'm leaving" Matthew spoke out loudly, not being able to accept his own decision. But he had to, if he wanted to make things right he had to leave.

"Leaving? What do you mean? You are leaving your company or going for a vacation?" Avinash tried not to raise his voice at his father and keep calm.

"I am going to get Cadence back" Matthew tried to call Cadence but she didn't once answer his phone, neither did she reply to any of his texts. This was the first time Matthew was away from Cadence and the home too. If Cadence wasn't there, it didn't feel like home. It was just a building made of bricks.

Cadence, however, had talked to Avinash and Amelia many times over her absenteeism in the house. Avinash would call her every day. They would talk about their days and Avinash would feel good that his mother was safe. It reassured him.

He was slowly coming to trust the fact that Cadence was fine with Amelia's help. Earlier, Avinash would call Cadence numerous times to ask her about her health but gradually the fear of losing his mother was decreasing with the number of phone calls.

He knew that it could never become nil, hence he made it his habit to call Cadence at least once every day, no matter how tired he was. He was always going to need his mother.

"What do you mean, dad? Mom is safe" He stated to his father. Matthew, however, didn't believe him. He needed to see that himself. He had not heard Cadence's voice for so long. He has missed her terribly.

"I need to hear that myself. I had not talked to her since she left. She even doesn't pick my calls. It seems she has forgotten us" Matthew's moody turned sour accepting and speaking out loud the fact that he was being ignored.

"What? No. Mom and I talk daily" Avinash's disclosure of this new information left Matthew dumbstruck.

Cadence was indeed ignoring on purpose but not everyone, only him. Cadence didn't want to talk to him.