3 | The Health

The Health

The Health

Getting up and sleeping on the sofa continued for a few days. In those few days, they didn't speak much but the awkwardness between them reduced. However, Amelia had no idea of Avinash not sleeping on the bed. She was always confused about why he had backaches and neck pain.

But because of sleeping in the freezing temperature without any sweater or blanket, Avinash caught a cold. Despite having a cold, he didn't give up. The fact he barely ate anything those days, didn't help.

Amelia again woke up to the empty bed like always but this time she saw Avinash coped up in a fetal position on the sofa, sleeping. She was confused and decided to wake him up.

She walked near him to wake him up, but as she neared him she could listen to his teeth shattering. He was shivering because of the cold.

"Avinash, Avinash" She called him twice but he didn't wake up. As soon as she touched his arm to shake him, she gasped. His body was hot with fever. Not wasting any time, she rushed to Cadence and Mathew's room.

She banged the door a little too loudly. Cadence was the one to open the door, while Mathew was still snoring loudly. Cadence came out and looked worriedly at Amelia's face, to find any kind of injury or the reason.

"Avinash has a high fever" Cadence's eyes widened and she ran towards her son. She patted his cheek to wake him up. As he opened his eyes, Cadence could feel her eyes watering at the pain his son must be feeling. His eyes were red.

When he got up, he couldn't understand anything. He closed his eyes for a second, before opening them again. As he came back to his senses, he registered the soreness of his throat. He coughed up and straightened up.

"First, come lie down on the bed" Cadence ordered. He didn't protest. He got up slowly and stumbled a bit at the start but Cadence held his hand. He lied down and took the blanket

"Amelia please call the doctor" Cadence said after emerging from the bathroom with a mug full of water and a face towel.

"No need mom, I will just take the usual medicine, don't you worry," He said in his hoarse voice.

"But Avi-"

"Mom" Cadence didn't argue much knowing nothing could change his mind. He hated the family doctor. The family doctor would always find a way to humiliate Avinash for who he was.

"Fine. At least let me lower your temperature, keeping these water cloth. Take off your clothes"

"Mom, I'll do this on my own," He said, noticing awkwardly standing Amelia. His mother was furious but she huffed and left. Avinash took a deep breath.

"Is there anything I can do?" Amelia timidly asked.

"No" He smiled at her. The smile didn't convince her.