8 | The Step-Mother

The Step-Mother

 The Step-Mother

"Avinash, I won't be coming to the office today"

"Okay just take care"

The day before today, Avinash and Amelia came home to see Cadence napping in the living room. Both of them were shocked to see her in the living room at this time. Cadence is known to be a perfect person.

She never sleeps on anything but her bed. Her kitchen and house are always clean, there is not even a speck of dust on it. However, as she was asleep, her face was twisted on the one with agony.

Amelia and Avinash woke her up and made her sleep in her room. They wanted to ask her more but she was tired and sleepy. Amelia made a mental note to ask her the first thing in the morning.

Matthew came home late and slept. He was too blind in his pain and agony that he forgot he had a wife who was also bearing pain. She was also not really happy looking at his condition.

In two days it was Malti's death anniversary and even Avinash was acting low. Amelia, however, didn't know the reason why Avinash acted the way he did. But, nonetheless, she didn't pester him for answers.

In the present-day, when Amelia went to check on Cadence, she found her lying alone on her and Matthew's bed. Her eyes were tired and she couldn't open them. Amelia went to and touched her forehead by the back of her hand to conclude that she had a fever.

She decided to stay back with Cadence and asked Avinash to leave for work. Avinash didn't want to leave his step-mother alone but he didn't exactly have any other choice, since Amelia was adamant about this.

Amelia didn't want Avinash because she wanted to talk to Cadence. Alone. She wanted to talk to her about anything and everything which was troubling her.

Once she was sure about Avinash leaving and Cadence was feeling much better, She carefully started asking questions.

"How are you holding up?" Amelia asked Cutting the apples for Cadence to eat.

"Good"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I mean three kids and one husband, it gets pretty hectic, you know" Cadence tried her best to convince Amelia and herself by those words but she couldn't.

"You are lying," Amelia deadpanned.

"Avinash, actually, h-he" Cadence struggled.

"I know. He told me" Amelia gave her a soft smile.

Cadence couldn't stop herself from bursting into tears. She started crying. Amelia tried to calm her down but all in vain. Amelia decided that Cadence needed to cry her heart out and that is what Amelia allowed her to do.

Amelia could only understand bits and pieces of what Cadence muttered. After crying for a considerable amount of time, she felt embarrassed and demanded to be alone. Amelia left Cadence and Matthew's room and plopped on her bed.