Chapter 16: Derek's Moment (Let's Go Party!)

A/N:

Thanks for the 3k guys, really I love you readers <3 The bold text will represent Jay writing in his journal and the italicized will show a flashback of past events.

...........

"Do you guys ever do anything normal? Ya know, like go to the movies?" Derek asked.

"We've been to the movies twice!" I countered. I was sitting with my feet propped up in his lap while he watched some sports network. It was in the middle of the week and Ryan had work til late tonight, so I figured I'd just hang out with Derek. No, not because I don't have any other friends, but because I liked being around Derek.

Typically I would just show up at his apartment and he'd put the television on some sporting event and make comments about it while I didn't even try to pretend to know what was going on and made sarcastic comments. Eventually, though, we'd somehow end up talking about Ryan and he'd be giving me some cryptic warning again. I swear, sometimes I just didn't understand Derek.

"Wow, you've been to the movies twice in two and a half months, that's impressive." He rolled his eyes before switching the television screen to play his X Box.

"You're just jealous because my relationship is more romantic than yours!" I stuck my tongue out and swiped his controller from his hands. I expected him to fight me for the controller or at least glare at me, but he just looked at me with...pity? "What?"

"You're doing it again."

"Doing what again?"

"Thinking you're the only guy in the world that Ryan has ever gone above and beyond for. Jay, you are in high school man, and you've never even had a serious relationship before now."

"Der," I whined. He always found a way to remind me how young I was, or how immature or inexperienced or-

"You don't have anything to compare Ryan to. I know right now you think that you're relationship is something out of some romance movie and that you will never experience anything like it again, but I just want you to be careful, bud. Sometimes I think you trust him too much." My eyes shot up to him.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I was about to start panicking. Was Ryan cheating on me? Was I just blindly going along thinking that I had this amazing boyfriend who treated me so well while we were together but secretly had another guy in his life? No, that's not Ryan "Is he cheating on me?" The words fell out of my mouth before my brain could stop them.

"NO! Nonononono of course not!" Derek moved my feet to the floor and scooted closer to me, his shoulder pressing against mine.

"Why do you think I trust him too much then?" Derek confused the hell out of me. "You should start at damn fortune cookie business with the about of bullshit you spout off about life." He smacked me on the back of the head before resting his arm around my shoulders.

"I'm being serious, Jay. I just don't want you to get hurt." I looked up at his face, only mere inches from my own...wait, what? "I care about you, man." There was a long moment of silence with me just looking into his eyes, not quite sure what I was supposed to say next.

"Hey, Derek! I thought I'd-" his girlfriend walked into the room. Honestly, I'm not sure how we didn't hear the door open since it usually creaked quite loudly. "Aw, are you guys bro-mancing?" She was practically cooing at us.

"We sure are!" He pulled me up into his lap, wrapping his arms around my midsection and kissing me on the cheek. I laughed and struggled against his arms.

"Let go of me ya weirdo!" This was my friendship with Derek in a single moment, a moment I will never forget.

...........

I pulled my knees up to my chest and let my head fall against the wall, hard. My eyes opened to find a red hand print staring back at me from the wall. Of all the places the bastard could have put one of his many hand prints, it had to be in my corner. My phone started buzzing by my feet again, Ryan's smirk appearing on my screen.

Fresh tears started welling up in my eyes as I thought back to that day, the and how sweet he had been by tossing rocks at my window and being more than ecstatic to leave markings on my wall. Was it all fake? Did he ever even love me? I'd write these things down in my journal; however, if any more tears fell upon those pages I fear the writing will become illegible.

The sad thing was that I kept looking for something or someone else to blame besides him. I could say it was the alcohol and that he wasn't truly still in love with Zack. I could say it was the party and that if it never happened, Ryan never would have text the ass hole in the first place. I could say it was my fault for-no. This was not my fault.

It didn't matter how many times I told myself that, I never truly believed it, not for long at least. My thoughts always wandered back to all those times with Derek and I couldn't help but think he was right. I should have been more careful.

.............

"C'mon Jay, it'll be fun!" Ryan said through the phone. He was trying to convince me to go to a party that a friend of his was having outside of town. It was supposed to be the event of the year and Ryan didn't want to miss it.

"Ryan, I don't really think I can. I'm really busy with school and stuff and I don't think I can lose another weekend getting drunk and spending the rest of the time recovering from a hangover." It was starting to become a problem, the school work I mean. I didn't drink all that often, especially considering I had a boyfriend that was more than willing to buy me alcohol.

"You don't have to drink," he pouted. Even though I couldn't see him, I knew what his face would look like. He was so adorable when he was pouting, his bottom lip stuck out, his eyes all- "Jay, you're doing it again."

"God damn it!" I hit my head against my steering wheel as I realized I was speaking my mind again. Why am I always in my car when he calls me? Like seriously, always.

"Am I adorable enough to get you to come to the party?" He was teasing me, but that didn't mean I wanted to say no.

"Fine, I guess, just promise you won't drink too much okay?" He knew promising me something was a big deal. It was like a vow of sorts. It was to him, too. That's why when I told Derek about our little star gazing trip, he was surprised by the promises we had made to each other.

"Promise." I let out a sigh of relief. It'll be fun, right? Yeah, it'll be fun...

A/N:

I split this chapter into two parts because it was so long. So it looks like a double update for all your patience with my non-updating here lately :) if you like this chapter please leave a vote or a comment or both! Love you guys! xx

-Tay