Chapter 5: Drink, Drank, Drunk

Sober. Calm, rational, uninfluenced. Sober. That was Ryan. How, or better yet why, did he even give me a second glance? I was sitting on the couch with a few of the girls that had come to the party, simply watching him move through the dozen or so people with the most ridiculous grin on his face.

"So, spill it Cutie, how did you and Ryan meet?" One bottle blonde asked. I knew her name, it was...okay so maybe I didn't. "I mean, I need to know where to go if I'm gonna find me a man like that." Her eyes swept over him as he lifted a few cases of beer up to the counter, effortlessly and unintentionally flexing his arms. I like to think that I am not the jealous type...like I said I like to THINK that. However, I did have a new sense of pride, since he was obviously a well sought after guy.

"We just kind of ran into each other," I chuckled at the literal meaning. "And he just took it from there."

"Have you guys slept together?" The same girl asked, causing me to choke on my drink. Yeah, high school teenager drinks while adult boyfriend doesn't...maybe I deserve a little judgement for that one.

"No," I blinked a few times, setting down my drink. "We're just taking things slow."

"Uh huh," she rolled her eyes with this sickening smirk on her face, obviously not convinced. Her eyes grew wide in the next moment and she started fidgeting, trying to fix her hair and-

"Hey girls," Kyle walked up.

"Hey Kyle." The three of them cooed. When I say they worshipped him, I mean they did everything but get on the floor and bow at his feet. I rolled my eyes and ignored the lot of them. He sat on the glass coffee table in front of the couch, but not just in front of the couch, in front of me.

"So, you're the infamous Jay." I felt uncomfortable as he looked me over while speaking, like he was judging whether I was worthy to be in his presence.

"And you're Kyle, the local whore." I mused, once again ingoring the girls around me as they attempted to stare daggers. His cocky grin dropped before being replaced with a look of skepticism. "However, I'm gonna be a good gay friend and point out that all three of these girls want to sleep with ya man, so have fun." I pat him on the shoulder as I got off the couch. The girls' anger was turned towards each other as they realized that they had actual competition among the three of their beautiful selves. Complete backstabbing whores. A hand fell on my shoulder before I took a third step in the other direction and I was faced with that same skeptical look. There was a momentary staring contest before he cracked a smile.

"I like this one, Ryan!" Kyle called out. "He's got attitude." I rolled my eyes with a laugh before making my way to where Ryan was with a few other guys in the kitchen area.

"What was all that about?" Ryan asked as I hopped up onto the counter beside him.

"Aparently I have attitude," I chuckled. "I don't know." Our eyes locked for a few seconds, or maybe it was minutes, I dunno, before someone cleared their throat.

"You gonna introduce us or what?" One of the guys asked Ryan, recieving a glare for ruining our moment.

"I'm Jay." I rolled my eyes, pushing Ryan's face to the side. That was answered with laughter and an agitated glance from Ryan. "Ryan's told me about you guys."

"Oh, has he now?" A taller guy with dark hair asked, his eyebrow arched. I was guessing he was Derek?

"Lord knows we've heard all about you!" A guy with straight blonde hair scoffed. Matthew maybe?

"Jay is so cute! Jay is so funny! I want to marry him!" The shortest of the group mocked Ryan. Gotta be Rick. Or Rich? Whatever. It's got an R.

"Guys!" Ryan sounded...embarassed? That was a new one. Normally he was embarrassing me. I ruffled his hair with an adoring smile.

"You two are gonna make me puke." Rick said as he stumbled away towards another group of people across the room.

"Sorry about Richard, he's just-"

"Yeah," I nodded. Ryan had told me about his recent relationship failing. "It's cool." I chatted with the guys, absentmindedly playing with Ryan's hair and eventually his hand found mine up by his shoulder. Derek gave me a funny look when our fingers interlaced, almost as if I had upset him in some way.

"I've gotta run to the bathroom," Ryan kissed my hand before heading towards the single hallway on the far side of the room. When he disappeared from sight, I found a questioning Derek standing before me.

"What?" I asked, a little nervous. Derek was bigger than Ryan, in height and muscle, so when he stepped forward to be hardly a foot in front of me, still sitting on the counter, I'll admit I was quite intimidated. However, upon closer observation, he seemed concerned.

"You are an interesting kid, you know that? Even more so since Ryan brought you to his apartment so eagerly. I've known him for a long time, but he's never acted this way before. It's like you make him nervous and excited at the same time."

"He's told me that..." I mumbled.

"I just want you to be careful, 'kay kiddo?" Derek smiled. I just nodded before watching him walk away. That was weird and sweet at the same time. It was nice that he was concerned about either of us getting hurt, but it was our relationship and he was my boyfriend. Oh dear...I was putting labels on things. Was that good? Or bad? Or would it just make things even more complicated? Thinking about this would make it worse. I chugged a bottle of beer that was sitting on the counter by me in hopes of regaining my buzz.

When Ryan returned, and lifted me off the counter I completely forgot about Derek and his cryptic warnings. Instead I got drunk on my boyfriend, catching Ryan's lips with my own.