Chapter 13: Birds & Stars

A/N:

Just wanna say I freaking love you guys <3 As always, the bold text will represent Jay writing in his journal and the italicized text will represent a flashback of past events.

.........

For once in my life, it's almost like everything is going perfectly. School isn't complicated, the few people in my life aren't really suffocating so I have plenty of time to myself, and Ryan is always there. I guess it's kind of a pros and cons thing. On one hand I've kinda let my social life fall through the cracks with some of my best friends, but on the other I have this amazing boyfriend that has been going above and beyond for me since we got over our little spat. I just can't get over that ridiculous happiness I feel when I'm around him...it's so much different than I've ever felt before. It's kinda made me realize how bitter and unpleasant I've been towards people in general...for once my journal is actually about me personally, shocker! Anyways, tomorrow will be a month since we had our first date (the colliding, pretzel thing) and I have no idea what we'll be doing. Ryan just told me when he left the other day to "be mentally prepared for the most fucking romantic month-a-versary in the entire galaxy." Simply to repeat myself, I date a loser...but he's my loser.

............

The warm autumn air rustled through the trees that had not yet begun to change colors. I wonder if they will this year. Everything else seemed to be going perfectly, so why wouldn't they?

I took a deep breath, wishing that everyone in the world could smell as amazing as Ryan did. His cologne always made my head kinda spin for a moment, making me forget who, what, when, where, and why I was. Why am I rambling about Ryan's scent? I opened my eyes to find a chest underneath my head and a body in my arms. We were still lying on the quilt that Ryan had set out at the beginning of the picnic.

Ryan hadn't been kidding about how romantic our "month-a-versary" was going to be. He had brought a picnic basket with him when he picked me up earlier and drove us to a random small town with a park so neither of us would run the risk of being interrupted by someone we knew. Honestly, I hadn't even thought about random acquaintances bothering me while on a date. Once again, Ryan had thought of everything.

The lunch he made was simple, just peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and chips. However, from this massive basket, that I had never seen in his apartment before, he pulled out a giant quilt with a logo on it for some sports team or something. I don't know, I was too busy staring at my boyfriend to care. My boyfriend...it still sounded so strange, even after a month of saying it. As if on cue, Ryan let out an audible sigh and ruffled my short hair.

"What are you thinking about?" In all reality, it kinda freaked me out when he knew what was going on with me when even I didn't fully understand half of my issues. "If you don't quit yapping without meaning to I might start calling you Cockatoo." Why? Just why did I have to be so mentally impaired around him?

"You make me go all fuzzy brained." I sighed. "But it's just weird, ya know?"

"No," he mused.

"I'm going to-"

"Let's not play fight today." He pulled me closer.

"Gonna freaking start and end it before I even get a turn," I grumbled into his neck, closing my eyes in hopes of another nap. Unfortunately, I felt the ground move out from underneath me and opened my eyes to find Ryan's face only an inch from my own. My legs were around his waist and arms around his neck as he held me there, staring into my very being witha a soft smile on his face.

"I love you." He didn't kiss me, he didn't move us, he didn't even blink.

"You are my star." I kissed his nose with a grin. Typically, people said that they loved another person to the moon and back. I, on the other hand, had a tendency to say that I loved people to the stars, since, you know, it takes forever to get there. At some point in time, though, I had made the decision that the only reason I loved people to the stars anymore was because Ryan, my one honest, real, and true love, was my star. Cheesy and way in depth for a month of dating? Oh well, call me clingy.

"My little Blue Jay." His eyes seemed to sparkle each and every time he used that silly nickname for me. It was like that name held an identity of its own that only Ryan knew, and he relished in that fact. Just last week Derek had jokingly called me Blue Jay and I had to pull Ryan and his jealous ass back from hurting the other boy. Like I said, it was kind of special. We shared that gaze for a minute longer before I finally slid my feet down to the ground.

"Can we go home?" I asked, biting my lower lip.

"Home?" His eyebrows knit together in confusion. "I thought we were-" I shook my head and reached for something in my pocket.

"Home." I held up the small silver key that he had given me when I got in the car that morning. His lips met mine for a long moment, a smile plastering itself on his face afterwards that forced me to reciprocate. Even if we were just going to go back to his apartment and half watch a movie before falling asleep in each others arms, it sounded like the perfect way to end our perfect day.

A/N:

Sorry for the long wait on this update, things have been kinda hectic lately. Promise things are going to get intense in the next couple of chapters, so enjoy the happy endings for now! :D If you like this part of the story please feel free to leave a comment! Or a vote! Or both! Love you guys. xx

-Tay