Chapter 24: Leaving Memories Behind

A/N:

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR THIS CHAPTER!!!!!!!!

I want you guys to listen to your favorite sad/love song when you read this chapter. You can put one song on loop, or maybe listen to a whole playlist or something, but the music enhances this chapter immensely!

Okay, so if you'll do that, the bold lines will represent Jay writing in his journal and the italicized lines will represent a flashback of past events.

........

Ryan's lips pressed to my forehead. My eyes were wide open, staring at the familiar chest in front of me, but not seeing anything. My hands were on his arms, holding him gently, but not feeling the safety those arms normally promised. There wasn't a thought in my head, my entire soul feeling empty when those lips finally left my skin. Everything was quiet, only a soft ringing in my ears as he turned to leave.

I stared up at the man before me, his warm brown eyes and embarrassed expression distracting me from the world. His hand extended to pull me up from the ground with a soft apology.

"I'm Ryan, by the way."

"Well, Ryan, you sure know how to make an entrance. I'm Jay."

"Jay, I like that."

I couldn't see anything, couldn't hear anything, couldn't do anything but watch the memories play through my mind.

"I really do wish you didn't have to go." I smiled at him, this beautiful new fried of mine, and kissed him on the cheek. Then, his lips met mine, forcing my eyes shut in a moment of bliss. "Is the scenery better?"

His feet carried him towards the back door my eyes focusing on his retreating figure, only my voice wouldn't come, nor would my arms fall from the position they had just been holding him in. I was frozen, and Ryan was only getting further away with each passing second. When his hand landed on the door knob, it hit me.

The rain poured down on the two of us as we stared into each others eyes after sharing a kiss. Strong arms lifted me off the kitchen counter before rough lips caught my own. A shiver ran down my spine as he gripped me from behind, whispering sweet nothings in my ear. Three words made my heart stop on the drive home.

I heard the door knob turn, the sharp sound barely audible as my heart twisted with it.

There was the sound of a nose breaking and threats being exchanged. I was wiping away a single tear from his face, telling him I loved him. "You wear a lot of blue, Jay. You're a little Blue Jay!" A booming laugh filled the room before I was throwing up in the bathroom. I was screaming at him and crying in the floor.

A blast of cold air came from the open door, bringing an icy feel to where those lips had so suddenly left my forehead.

Rocks were clinking against my window and red hand prints were marking my wall. I could feel a sturdy chest beneath me, breathing softly as we napped on the quilt. "Jay, you make me want to change. For the better, I mean, it's like every time I leave you, I want to go adopt a puppy."

"Why on Earth would you adopt a puppy?"

"It's just an example, stop trying to ruin this perfectly romantic moment!"

Ryan stepped through the door quickly and deliberately, but he might as well have been moving in slow motion as I tried to hold him there with my memories.

"Promise me something?" We were laying under the stars, his arms pulling me closer to his side in the candle light.

"What am I promising you?"

I ran out the back door, leaving it open as I tried to catch him.

"Promise me that no matter how far apart we may be, that you'll never forget that we're under the same sky."

"Okay Dear John, I'll promise to always remember you when I look at the sky, if you'll promise me something."

"Anything."

I ran through the garage, my bare feet pounding across the concrete.

"Promise that you'll never forget these little moments."

I caught the last glimpse of his silver corvette's tail lights zipping out of my driveway.

"I'll never forget a single one." Lips whispered against my own.

My knees met the ground. I hadn't been fast enough. I hadn't stopped him from leaving. My eyes wandered up to the sky, everything finally settling in my mind and the tears finally beginning to pour down my face as I stared at the stars.

"And you'll always remember I'm only a sky away?"

"I promise." My voice broke on those two words...I broke on those words.

............

A/N:

If you liked this little montage of memories, please leave a vote (the little star button) or a comment, or both. Love you guys <3 xx

-Tay