Epilogue Part 1: A Graduating Feeling

A/N:

So I want to thank you guys for sticking with this story from start to finish and since I've already shared so much of this story with you, I think it's only right that you see how it all actually ends. So, fasten your seat belts my dear readers, because this ride is about to get rough ;)

I'm not sure if there will be any, but to stay true to previous updates: any bold lines will represent Jay writing in his journal, and any italicized will represent a flashback of past events.

..........

I looked out the window at the night sky, not a thought in my mind. Graduation had come and gone and now it was all over. High school had officially ended for me and I'm going to head to college in the Fall. Wow...that sounds weird.

What's even weirder is the fact that I'll have a clean slate. Hardly any of my friends were going to the same college as me, so it would be like starting over...in a way. "Promise me you'll always remember that we're under the same sky." The words flowed through my mind as they always seemed to. What? I can't help that I actually keep my promises.

I glance over at Sunny, her expression blank as she drove to nowhere in particular. It was nights like this, nights where we didn't have anywhere to be or anything to do, that made me happy. Who needs a boyfriend anyways? It's summer, I'm supposed to be having the time of my life, so why can't I just let it all go?

As if to answer my question, my phone buzzed in my lap with a new message. I had to do a triple take when I saw the number on my screen. "Hey man, now that we're both graduated and shit, why don't we hang out and celebrate? I haven't seen you in forever and I wanna give you a grad gift!"

I sighed. I had to go, I needed to go. My heart wouldn't let me ignore anything at this point, throwing itself into any opportunity to remember how I felt...how it felt to be with him.

.................

I hopped out of my car to find a blonde man smiling at me with pearly white teeth. "Dude, I haven't seen your short ass in far too long!" He pulled me into an over-dramatic hug while laughing like an idiot.

"It's nice to see you too, Kyle." I chuckled. How could I not be happy around him? We had always had a good time together, and even if I hadn't seen him in months that didn't really matter I guess. He would always be the same guy that just wanted to party until his pants fell off, literally.

"So, how've you been? How's it feel to be out of high school and on your way to the big leagues?" He wiggled his eyebrows and flashed me another bright smile. I leaned back against my car and shook my head, gazing back up at the night sky.

"It feels good...I feel good, ya know? I'm finally over everything that happened and moving on with my life and all, so...what?" I backtracked when I saw him biting his lip and shooting a nervous glance over his shoulder.

"Oh it's nothing, I just thought I heard a deer or something. Sons of bitches scare me with their hooves and shit-hey! Let me get you your present!" I looked him over carefully, not sure where his sudden mood change had come from, but decided it was worth ignoring. Reading too far into things had already caused me too many problems in the past.

I watched as Kyle pulled a six pack of beer out of his back seat with a smile that could only be described as forced. He was up to something, but he was giving me beer, so did it really matter? I graciously accepted his gift, sliding it into the trunk of my car with a few sarcastic comments about how great of a role model he was being.

Kyle just laughed nervously, glancing around once again before biting his lip and looking back to me. Before I could ask what was going on, though, I heard a car on the road coming towards us. I arched an eyebrow and looked down the road at the approaching car.