Chapter 5: Surprise Surprise

It was a normal Tuesday morning for me and my crew. We watched the few horses we had workout on weekdays work, most of them claimers. The day went on and I decided I would just stay at the track all day, wander around, and maybe watch some races on TVG.

I was in my office at around 2:30 in the afternoon, and the only tracks on were low level claimers at low level tracks. One race coming up was at Portland Meadows, a 1 mile event for 2 year old maidens, not very common at Portland to have a non claiming event.

"The 3 is Plower, he will make his first career start today, a well built Washington bred, will have apprentice Eduardo Marquez aboard." said the man on TVG.

"Nice colt right there..." said Jefe behind me.

"That's a good looker indeed..." I responded.

"The horses are in the gate... And They're off!" said the track announcer.

The race ran on and Plower easily led throughout the running. Heading into the far turn, he had a 10 length lead.

"Under the wire, Plower handles them with ease, winning by 19 lengths!"

I immediately got on my computer and looked up owner Sunshine Tower Farms, and found their phone number.

"Hello, is this Marcia Senters of Sunshine Tower Farms?" I asked.

"Yes, this is she, who is this?" she responded.

"I'm Devin Morill."

"THE Devin Morill???"

"Yes it is."

"Why would you be calling me, I just own horses at Portland Meadows."

"I'm calling about a certain horse named Plower."

"What about him?"

"I was wondering if I could come up and see the horse."

"Well of course you can, well will you come?"

"I just bought my ticket, I should be there around 7 tonight, will u still be there?"

"I usually am not, but I can be there."

"K, Thanks. See you soon."

I hung up and headed to the airport, it was a round trip flight, so right after I saw the horse, I would be going back home.

7 P.M. Portland Meadows Backstretch

I went to the barn that Marcia's horses were at and greeted her at Plower's stall.

"This is him, he had an incredible run today..." she said.

"This is one big horse, certainly lots of talent..."

"Why exactly did you come here to see this horse?'"

"Well, I wanted to make sure this horse looked as good in person as he does on TV before I offered to buy him."

"You want to buy him?!? I don't know if I can sell this horse, he is very good..."

"Well what if I offered you." I said reaching into my pocket,"100,000 dollars. Cash."

"When will the trailer be here?" She said, marvelled by the offer.

August 27th

All three horses were entered today, in three separate races. Councilman would be in Race 2, going 7 furlongs over the dirt in an allowance, Rafael would be aboard. Clubhouse Drive would be going 1 1/16 over the main track, also in an allowance, Corey would be aboard. Finally, Candy Bird in the 11th and final, 1 mile in an allowance. I would be switching up the jockey, it would be Elvis Trujillo.

I went to the backside to check on all my horses, mainly the 3 I had running today. Also, Plower arrived 1 week ago, and already checked out the track, but wouldn't race over it. All 4 of them were all healthy and looking good, and the day went by in a flash.

Councilman man handled the field, winning by 6 lengths.

Clubhouse Drive did the same, but won by 9.

Candy Bird had to work harder, but got up to win by a length.

I had decided I would send Clubhouse Drive out to Belmont Park, in New York, where he would start in the Champagne Stakes. Councilman would run in the Frontrunner Stakes, at Santa Anita, which would also be his 2 turn debut. Candy Bird, despite not winning impressively, would run in the Zuma Beach Stakes at Santa Anita. Those races would be preps for the Breeders Cup, to be held at Santa Anita this year.

I went to my barn and my office the night after the wins to see my horses, and saw I had an email on my computer. The person it was from was, 'Marquez, Eduardo', and it said this,

"Dear Mr. Morill,

I am Eduardo Marquez, I am an apprentice jockey from Puerto Rico, and I ride at Portland Meadows. I was told last week that a horse I rode to a maiden win, named Plower, was purchased by you. I fell in love with this colt this summer, and disappointed that he was no longer here. I know this is a longshot, and I know some of the best jockeys in the world ride there, and that you have many great riders, but I was wondering if I could continue riding this colt. I've been aboard him a countless amount of time and have a very close bond with him. My phone number is 123-444-2828, text or call me if/when you make your decision."

I grabbed my phone and typed in the number he had given me, and sent him a text saying the following:

"I have him scheduled to work Monday, if you need a flight, I'll hook you up. Can't wait to meet you Monday!"