Chapter 16: The Draw

We looked like a seasoned football team rolling into the tent for the post position draw. I had my two assistants, Lauren, Kosta Hronis for Clubhouse, Will Farish of Lane's End for Candy, and Kenny Trout for Winstar.

We had 1/4 of the field, Baffert had 2, Pletcher had 3, and Mike Maker had 2. I had a lot of press around my barn, but as long as they didn't get to close to the horses, they were fine. Lauren had declined all interviews when reporters asked, but I casually slid in to answer the many questions surrounding my runners.

The draw began.

"Number 15, Beeline."

Two others were drawn, 2 and 17, then the first of my 5.

"6, Plower." Eddie seemed happy, with Plower's speed that position was perfect.

Marchissen was next, he got the 5, he would most likely be 3rd or 4th on the morning line.

"18, Candy Bird." The jockey for Candy had been up for grabs, but Rafael Bejarano didn't have a mount, so he picked it up.

A few more names were drawn, notables like Baffert's best hope, Arkansas Derby winner Golden Day, drew the 10 post, and Bloxton got the 13.

"Number 14, Clubhouse Drive." I didn't care where he drew, as long as it wasn't 20.

3 down. 3 to go.

The final Pletcher drew, Declare War got the 20, and then a few longshots were drawn.

"Councilman, 16." He's a stalker, so I would've wanted to be closer inside, but he is a gunshot from the great.

There were only 3 posts left, the 8, 1, and 19.

"Jungle House, 8."

1 and 19. Lauren was tapping her foot frantically, if you didn't think she was nervous you are blind.

"What are you hoping for?" I asked her.

"19." she responded quietly.

"We'll see."

"Number 1, Paddy Squires." I looked up and thanked the big man up stairs.

"Crap. We're screwed." she said.

"We're blessed." The final name was drawn.

I was content with all my posts, they all could manage from their posts.

I gathered all my jocks around after the event ended to have a quick conference, for I wouldn't be able to talk with them in the paddock because I was saddling the horses.

"Alright here's the basic plan. Jose, your flying out front, the faster the better. You have to break well from the 1. Irad, stalking 3rd or 4th is best for him, you need to fly out of the start from that post. Corey, it doesn't matter how you break, you need to make sure every horse is in front of you early on. Rafi, mid pack, keep him around 11-15th because it'll be hot up front. Finally, Eddie. You and Jose are gonna be speeding up front, but they've both won while flying up front and being contested, so you two just ride your horse the way they usually do. Good luck boys."

"Are you excited?" Lauren asked afterwards.

I sighed. "What did I do to get here?"

"It's called being the best trainer in the world." she responded.

Wow... The Kentucky Derby.