Chapter 18: After The Derby

I woke up the next morning thinking.

"Is this a Dream?" "Did this really just happen?"

I went to the barn to see the horses post-Derby at around 5:30 in the morning, later than I usually would get up and go to the track. Councilman looked as good as can be, the Preakness was obviously the next target for the son of Super Saver. Clubhouse ran a valiant 3rd, but had too much to do. He looked well and would be pointed towards the Belmont where he would be able to catch them with the extra 1/4 mile. Plower ran 4th, narrowly holding off many horses and finishing 4 lengths behind Clubhouse. I had the Preakness in mind for him, but he would need to work well to run. Paddy ended up running 17th in the 20 horse field. He checked out no worse for wear, it just was not his day. The races in his future were unclear, but the Easy Goer on the Belmont Stakes undercard looked like the best option. Unlike the other 4, Candy did not come out of the race well. After finishing last, beaten 12 lengths by the 19th place finisher, we found out he had a terrible quarter crack injury, one that will keep him out for most of the year.

I then saw James and asked him if he had seen Lauren.

"James have you seen Lauren this morning?"

"Not this morning. Last night when I was here she came by with her bags to check on the horse and then told me she was leaving. She didn't say where though." He responded.

I pulled out my phone and called her.

RING-RING-RING

It ended without a voicemail.

I then left the barn area and went to her hotel. I went up to her room and she wasn't there whatsoever, leaving me even more confused than before.

The Preakness was next, 2 runners from the Derby would run. But  I didn't care about that now, I just wanted to know where Lauren was.