Chapter 6: Breeders Cup Preps

The Breeders Cup, it was what I worked for every year, I didn't work my horses to get in the big pursed stakes races, I worked my horses to get them to the Breeders Cup.

The 2016 Breeders Cup would be held at Santa Anita, but only 1 of my now 4 juveniles would prep there. I had decided to change some of the plans, Clubhouse Drive would still go to the Champagne Stakes, but Councilman would ship with him, but would run the day after in the Futurity Stakes. The same day, Candy Bird would go to Keeneland to run in the Bourbon Stakes. Finally, a week before those 3 would run, Plower would run in the Frontrunner Stakes at Santa Anita.

Frontrunner Stakes Day

Plower drew the 4 hole in a 9 horse race. The odds were not in our favor, 56-1, but it was deserving, a maiden winner from a low level track probably won't get alot of attention. The big favorite was Bob Baffert's, Jungle House, and the East Coast shipper from the Todd Plether barn, Leftlin.

Plower was a handfull in the saddling area, he kept bucking and sweated up terribly, and wouldn't let us put the white blinkers on. When we walked into the main paddock, he continued to cause trouble for Jefe, he bucked and kicked around, and caused trouble for the horses around him. Eduardo walked out from the jocks room wearing my green silks with a red sash and red stripes on green sleeves. Eduardo approached me in the center of the paddock.

"You ready for this?" I asked, sensing he was nervous.

"I'll only be more nervous two more times in my life, when he runs in the Breeders Cup, and the Derby." He responded, filled with hope.

The horse and Jefe both approached, and I gave Eduardo the leg up.

"Shock the world." I said once he got once he got on.

I went up to my seat, no one was with me, being the lone owner and trainer. The horse settled down once Eduardo got on, and went into the gates easily, the 2nd last to load.

"Plower goes up, and the last to load will be Cemental Stereo. And away they go..."

He broke cleanly and Eduardo was able to get him to the lead, and when the went into the first turn, he had a 2 length advantage over the 2nd place horse. They entered the backside and Eduardo sat like a stone, while chaos occurred behind him, horses bumping and jockeys shouting. The fractions were calm and cool, 24.43 for the quarter and the half in 48 flat. They started their run into the far turn, and Eduardo had kept the same advantage the whole way round. Jungle House started to get rolling from 6th and Leftlin had crept up from 3rd. As we entered the stretch we had a 1 length lead, but Leftlin quickly cut into it and was able to grab the lead as the passed the 1/8th pole.

"And Leftlin, marks him self as one of th best in the US, Leftlin coasts in the Frontrunner he won it by 3! Jungle House grabbed 2nd by a length over Plower who ran a game 3rd."

He ran 3rd. Thank God. That was already a return on investment. I walked down to talk to Eduardo about the race.

"Nice job Eddie, he ran great." I said.

"We coulda won, but that Pletcher horse is the best horse I've ever ran against."

"Good try man, I hope you can make it for the next ride."

"For sure, boss."

I walked with Jefe back to the barns, because Plower didn't have to be tested. When we got back, I told Jefe to load the 2 big ones up, it was time to go.

Champagne Stakes Day

He was already the best 2 year old I had ever had. He had this confidence, this swagger, this way about him, he was it. Only 5 horses would contest the Champagne, a downpour the night before led to many scratches. Todd Pletcher had 2 horses in the race, Classic Wealth and Marchissen. The other two horses were Upport, owned by Godolphin, and Houndog Halloway, a New York bred longshot,

We were favored, the 5/2 favorite, while the coupled Pletcher duo was at 3/1. Corey was able to make his way to New York to ride, and he was more confident then ever in his chance.

"Hey Corey, lets do this." I said.

"I'm nervous for the first time in forever. I haven't won the derby in 17 tries. This is the best 2 year old I've ridden, so I need to deliver." he responded.

"Just ride him like you do, remember it's Belmont, so you cant really get into him until mid turn."

"You think I don't know how to ride this track?" he responded, only how Corey Nakatani would.

He got the leg up and he and the beast headed out to the big track of Belmont Park. He warmed up amazingly, and he went into Gate 1, for the entry was able to escape bad posts becuase they were coupled.

"And They're Off, in the Champagne."

Corey was able to settle him down in 4th, while Classic Wealth and Houndog Halloway blitzed away to set an opening quarter of 22.78.

"Jeez they are flying." I said, while grinning.

Down the backside they ran in the 1 turn event, and the pace didn't slow down at all. Heading around the far turn, and 4 furlongs remained, the half was covered in a blazing 44.34, quicker than the quarter. Corey started to move him up, and he responded with a sudden burst of speed, gaining 3 lengths within 3 strides. Houndog Halloway tired away, and Classic Wealth tried to stick with him, but Marchissen and Upport both moved by as they headed into the stretch. We were 7 lengths behind. Corey started hitting him with the whip, and driving the monster forward, and he responded with every stride. As they passed the 1/8th pole, we were 1 length off of Upport and Marchissen, who continued to battle.

"Upport and Marchissen lead passing the 1/8th pole, but the towering colt, the monster, the invader has moved by on the outside, and now he's gone! Clubhouse Drive pouring it on, an amazing performance by the undefeated colt, who has marked himself as the best 2 year old in the nation, maybe the world! Clubhouse Drive by 5! Marchissen held 2nd and Upport ran 3rd."

He crushed them. I went down to the winner circle with Clubhouse Drive's owner, Kosta Hronis. We met Corey in the winners circle.

"Derby horse. Right here." Corey said.

"This is gonna be a fun ride." I responded.

Futurity and Bourbon Stakes Day

It was Futurity day, and I would be in New York to saddle Councilman. He would get a new jockey today, New York's finest, Irad Ortiz Jr. Councilman would also have to run on a sloppy track, and would be stepping back in distance, going at the sprint distance of 6 furlongs. The field would be 7, and no Pletcher's or any major stables had horses running. Irad came out and I gave him instructions on how to ride him. Go to the front, and don't look back. He got the leg up and he went out to the track for the first graded stakes of his career.

Irad and Councilman went in to Gate 2 easily. They broke well and Irad got him in front. As they went down the backstretch, they were able to set cozy fractions, especially a sprint. 24.22 and 48.7. They entered the stretch and Irad didn't even press the button. They won by 12.

I went to the winners circle with the Winstar representative and greeted Irad.

"Great ride man, can't wait for you to ride him back next time." I said.

"Thank you sir, he's an amazing colt and he could go longer if you want."

After all the winners circle hooplah, I found the nearest monitor to watch Candy Bird run. I was only able to catch the stretch run.

"It's Valentinofront on top, Candy Bird is gaining quick on the outside, Valentinofront hanging strong, Candy Bird on the outside won't get there in time, Valentinofront wins the Bourbon."

I called my assistant Frank Shelton.

"Frankie what happened?"

"Well Julien wasn't able to get him in a comfortable position, you know. We sat 10th out of 12 and he got going to late. It wasn't the ride, the horse was just too persistent."

I ended the call and then went to the barn area and got my horses ready to fly back to California. It was time for the Breeders Cup.