Chapter 11: First 3 Year Old Races

I had the first 3 derby preps over the next 2 weeks, the Withers with Councilman, the Robert Lewis with Plower, and Candy Bird in the El Camino Real Derby. The jockeys would all stay the same, Irad on Councilman, and Eddie would be on Candy and Plower.

February 4th

It was Lewis and Withers day, Councilman had been in New York for almost a month, and Tom had been given the assistant job, so he would be with him over the next few months while he worked towards the Wood, the Withers being his only prep. Irad had worked him twice at Aqueduct, going 4 furlongs in 47.2 and a maintanance work going 5 furlongs in 1:02.2. I called Tom up after he finished saddling him and he went to the track.

"How's he doing Tommy boy?' I asked.

"He looks great, Irad said his works have been great and he really likes how he feels right now. This could be the big one." he responded, filled with hope.

"How are the other 9 horses looking?" I asked of his competition.

"It is horses he's faced, but Leftlin looks really good, and I Todd said he just was off when he lost in the Remsen, and he was only 1/2 length behind Councilman. But that McLaughlin horse, Upport, looks great too. The one New York bred looks pretty good too."

"Well Irad knows the horse, and he likes the track, so we should be good. Leftlin looks great. But we'll see. Talk to you after the race." I hung up than sat down in my box to watch the race on the monitor at Santa Anita.

"Councilman your 2/1 favorite over Leftlin at 7/2, and Upport at 6/1. They're all in line. They're off, in the Withers!"

Irad was able to put him on the rail 4th in the 10 horse field, as the New-York bred Paddy Squires and Jose Ortiz went to the lead. Leftlin and Manuel Franco were 6th and Upport and Junior Alvarado were 7th. The fractions from Paddy Squires were cool and collective, 24.2 and 48.5, going very slow, setting up well for Irad. They headed into the far turn and the 2nd and 3rd place runners tired out. Paddy Squires took a 3 length lead over Councilman entering the stretch, and Irad got after him, as Leftlin approached to his hip, 2 lengths infront of Upport. Irad pulled out the whip and gave him 2 hits on the right side, and he responded by gaining 1 1/2 lengths on Paddy Squires, with 1/8 of a mile to run.

"As they pass the 1/8th pole, Paddy Squires hanging as tough as a nail, he's a length in front of the unbeaten, untouchable Councilman, and Leftlin is another length off of him. Paddy Squires trying to hang on, here comes Councilman on the outside! The Ortiz brothers battle it out to the wire, and the Withers goes to... PADDY SQUIRES! In a thrilling renewal of the Withers Stakes!"

Disappointed. Hell No.

I pulled out my phone and called Tom,"Great job. I can tell your working magic out there."

"I woulda had you talk to Irad but he has to ride the night cap. He said the horse ran amazing, the Wood will be a good distance for him."

"Great, we have 14 derby points as of now, so we just need to pull out all the stops 2 months from now. Keep up the good work, and I'll call you tomorrow to see how he's doing!" I hung up and waited until I had to go saddle Plower for the Bob Lewis.

A few hours later, I entered the saddling enclosure to saddle Plower, he would face 7 others, and have to break from the 1 post. His only major competition was Jungle House, who after finishing way back in the Breeder's Cup Juvenile, he ran 2nd to Clubhouse Drive in the Los Alamitos Futurity. Plower saddled great and James stated that he was more relaxed than ever.

Eddie came into the paddock wearing my silks.

"How's he been doing so far."

"James said he was great and relaxed, he should run as good as he did in Kentucky last time."