Chapter 13: Levin

"Are you Ok? Your staring..." Lauren said.

"Was I? Sorry, just dreaming about how we'll look in the winners circle." I responded.

"Way to stay positive." She said, shaking my hand.

We had talked a little on the phone, but I'd never met her in person. She was 22, and her father had owned horses until he died the year before. Anything in the racing industry, she inherited. She had 10 horses in all, but none of them were the status of Paddy's.

"How's the horse been doing?" I asked. She said she'd been visiting the horse every day, while I'd been in California.

"He looks better than ever." she responded.

After we talked for a while, Jose Ortiz walked out wearing Lauren's yellow and black striped silks.

"Pleasure to meet you Jose." I said. He'd never ridden a horse for me, but because Lauren liked him on her horses, I kept him.

"How should I ride him?"

Before I had a chance to say anything,"Front. No matter what." Lauren commanded. "I knew you didn't know his style, but I do."

I gave Jose the leg up, and he and Paddy went to the track, while me and Lauren would watch the race on a monitor in the paddock. Paddy seemed to have scared off the competition following his defeat of Councilman, who was one of the best 2 year old's last year.

"And the last in line, Paddy Squires. They're off in the Gotham!"

Jose quickly got after Paddy, and they sped into the turn with a 1 1/2 length lead over the others. Jose didn't put to much of a hold on him, but the horse didn't try to go fast, for they stayed with the same lead margin until the far turn. They started to round the final turn, when the 2nd and 3rd place runners started to gain on Paddy, and as they head into the stretch, he only led by half a length.

"As they enter the stretch, Paddy Squires leads by only half a length. Megatron and Great Grandfire move up on the outside. Paddy Squires has now faded even with Megatron and Great Grandfire passing the 1/8th pole. Megatron takes over just less than a length over Paddy Squires, and looks to clear them. Megatron leads by more than a length, Paddy Squires is sec- and Paddy Squires is starting to pick back up. Megatron trying to hang on, Paddy Squires on the inside refiring, Megatron and Paddy Squires under the line... Paddy got it! Paddy Squires was all heart in winning the Gotham!"

Immediately after they crossed the line, Lauren put her arms around me.

"That was incredible, Devin!"

"Wow." I stood there astonished.

"Let's go get our picture taken." She said, then kissed my cheek, and we went to the winner's circle.

After all the post race events happened, I went to the nearest monitor, for Clubhouse was running soon. I called up James.

"Did he warm up well?" I asked.

"Good enough, but not like normal. Corey likes how he feels though."

"If Corey likes him, he's good."

"It's been raining for forever, he only has to beat 3 others."

"Good."

"Was Paddy good?" he asked.

"Incredible."

"Is Lauren nice?"

"Take Paddy's win, and multiply it by the amount of wins the big 5 has."

He laughed, then we hung up the phones to watch the race.

"And away they go..."

He broke slow, like always, but Corey kept him in contention, 8 lengths off the lead. Down the backside and the 3 longshots were in front of Clubhouse, who was a 1/9 favorite. He looked pretty good considering it was his 3 year old debut. As they ran into the far turn, Corey quickly started to move the horse by the others. He took advantage by 1 length heading into the stretch, and drew away, winning by 14. I called Tom.

"I just need to say one thing. Amazing."

"See you in a few days boss."

I hung up, then Lauren walked up.

"Congrats!" she said, once more hugging me.

"Thanks!" I said. "Do you have any plans tonight?"

"If you consider sitting home and watching random things on TV a plan then yes, i do."

"Well do you maybe want to go to dinner with me?" I asked, feeling extremely nervous.

"I'd like that." she said, with a large smile on her face.

Life was really great.