Chapter 2: The Arrival

"Boss! New 2 year old incoming!" Shouted my best groom, Juan, we called him Jefe (boss in Spanish).

"Yippee....." I said. There's nothing that makes me more mad than a two year old.

The bay colt walked off the trailer.

"Wow...." I said under my breath. I had never seen such a well built two year old. "Which one is this?" I asked Jefe.

"The WinStar colt, by Super Saver, out of Stopchargingmaria." He responded.

"We're gonna have a fun time with this one! I'm guessing Pletcher + Pletcher = Morill?"

"I guess so, Señor!" Jefe responded.

I told Jefe to send him to stall 22, and he did as instructed. The date was May 31, and I had a two other two year olds coming into my barn, and they would come June 2nd and June 5th.

June 2nd

"Here comes the big purchase!!" Shouted Jefe.

"Ahh yes, this one should be good..." I responded.

Flat Out was a huge horse, and his dam, She's A Tiger, was small, so I expected him to be average sized. Nope. Out of this trailer, came the largest Chestnut colt I had ever seen.

Jefe took him to stall 23, right next to the first 2 year old arrival, Councilman.

"Jefe, what's his name?"

"Clubhouse Drive."

June 5th

"Final one is here..." said Jefe as he peaked his head into my office.

"Maybe this one can actually win a Belmont..." I said disguisted. The day before my top 3 year old, Fellows, finished 7th as the 2nd choice in the Belmont.

I walked out of my office, and the son of Candy Ride walked off the trailer. I could tell he was probably a little bigger than 16 hands, but wasn't to physically impressive as the other colts. Jefe put him right next to the other 2 year olds, in barn 24.

"When will they start training?" asked one of my assistants, Frank Shelton.

"Mid-July, then they'll make their debuts in August. But they'll get a feel for the track before that."