Chapter 4-First Races

All the horses would make their firsts starts at the Del Mar meet that was already underway. Councilman and Clubhouse Drive would race over dirt, while Candy Bird would start over the turf, but later on could race on dirt.

Clubhouse Drive would be the first of the group to start, in a maiden at Del Mar on August 5th, going 1 mile on the dirt. He would be ridden by my first call rider, Corey Nakatani. He was my go to rider in all situations, and had ridden almost all my stakes horses.

Councilman would also race that weekend, in a race going 7 furlongs over the Del Mar dirt course on the 7th, a Sunday. Corey would be in New York to ride at Saratoga, so I went to Rafael Bejarano for the ride.

August 5th

I went to the barn early in the morning to make sure all my runners coming up this weekend. I had the favorite going into the Clement Hirsch, a 4 year old filly named Actor's Passion, who won 3 year old filly champion after winning the Kentucky Oaks, Alabama, Zenyatta, and then finished 2nd in the Breeders Cup Distaff.

Clubhouse Drive was cleared to run by the vets, and the blue shadow roll was put on him, aswell as his black, hind wraps. Jefe walked him to the receiving barn and then he entered the paddock. We had schooled him in the paddock twice at the track, and the crowd was large, despite the fact it was a Friday. Corey's valet and I saddled the horse, and the horse remained calm the whole time. After he was finished being saddled, I went into the center of the paddock, and met with the owner and Corey.

"He seems like he's gonna be the closing type, just keep him last and then get him going around the far turn and you'll be good to go." I instructed Corey.

I gave him a leg up on the big, chestnut colt and he was led to the track. Then, a TVG reporter approached me for an interview.

"Devin, you bring in a 1.4 million dollar purchase into this race, how do you think this son of Flat Out will perform?" he asked.

"We know we have the best horse in the race, and as long as Corey can settle him down in the back and he'll fire, we'll be in good shape." I responded.

"You aren't known for having many two year olds, but you say you have a fine group this year, how are they doing?"

"The other two are doing great, the Winstar colt is entered Sunday, and I have another nice one from Lane's End that is gonna likely be a turf runner."

"Final question. How are you feeling about Actor's Passion in tomorrow's San Clemente?"

"Ask me tomorrow. I don't know about you, but I'm kind of excited to watch the best 2 year old in the nation run in 12 minutes..." I said, and then walked to the box that Mr. Hronis, the owner, sat in.

The warm-up passed and the horses went into the starting gate, Clubhouse Drive went in to gate #2 with ease. The other 8 colts were in around him, and the field was set.

"And away they go... All broke evenly." said Trevor Denman, the race caller.

Corey quickly held him back and the colt was very comfortable where he was. The pacesetters were flying up front, setting it up perfectly for my colt. Down the backstretch and into the far turn, Corey didn't even ask the colt and he excelled, passing one horse after another, hitting the top of the stretch, he was second, a length within the leaders. Corey started hand ridding him, and at the 1/8th pole he was 7 lengths in front. Under the wire, he had won by 15. I headed down to the winners circle with the owner and his family, and we took the picture in the winners circle.

August 7th

Councilman had the same routine as Clubhouse, minus the shadow roll. He was fine in the paddock as well, and he would only be facing three others, thanks to rain that morning, and trainers aren't happy when a track comes up sloppy for a two year old. He was led to the track, and I sat in my box, as none of the Winstar reps were able to make it to the race. I had instructed Rafi to send him to the front and never look back.

"And away they go...."

Rafael took command by four lengths down the backstretch in the 7 furlong event. They would lead every step off the way, as nobody approached him, he won by 6 lengths. I went down to the winners circle and thanked Rafi for the great ride, and guaranteed him he would continue riding. In the winners circle, it was the horse, Rafi, me, and Jefe.

2 races. 2 wins. They would both either run in an allowance or head straight to a stakes. Candy Bird would be making his start the next Thursday.

August 11th

Candy Bird was in an 11 horse maiden over the turf course going a mile, and he would be ridden by Corey from the 8 post. I instructed him to ride him from mid-pack, and that he should try to keep him on the outside.

"And away they go..."

Corey gave him the ride that I wanted, sitting 6th around the track, and keeping him on the outside of his rivals. Rounding the far turn, Corey had to take up sharply, as Morees drifted out and almost clipped heels with Candy Bird. They went into the stretch and Morees took the lead at the 1/8th pole, leading Candy Bird by a length. Candy Bird kept picking up when, with 50 yards left, Morees got a left handed tap from his jockey Kent Desormeaux, and once more bumping Candy Bird, even harder than the first time. Candy Bird was 2nd, half a length behind Morees.

Immediately the inquiry sign went up. Corey galloped the horse back and when he hopped off as Jefe walked him around, he went straight for Desormeaux.

As Kent went towards the phone to talk to the stewards, Corey grabbed his shoulder, and the two started shouting at eachother. Corey then quickly swung at Kent, punching him right in the nose. The two then started fighting eachother. I ran over and quickly started pulling Corey away from Kent, and others helped pull them apart. The stewards had made the announcement that Morees would be taken down. Corey was still fuming, and I was mad at Corey and Kent for putting my horse and rider in danger. We took the picture and Jefe took Candy Bird back to the barn. Corey tried to avoid me, but I caught up with him before he reached the jockeys room.

"What were you doing?!" I screamed at him.

"Kent should maybe learn to keep his horse in a straight line! He knew I was coming and he hit his horse left handed!"

"Well I hope you like being suspended!" A security guard quickly broke me and Corey apart.

I walked to the barn area and checed on my horse and he was perfectly fine.

3 runners, 3 winners. The Road to the Kentucky Derby had started, and there was no stopping it.