Chapter 14: Final Preps

We had 5 derby preps left, 1 for each horse. Life for me was better than ever, I had 5 derby contenders, meaning if all made it, I would match the record set by Todd Pletcher and Nick Zito, 2 amazing trainers. Plus, I had an awesome girlfriend and two of my first horses were on fire, Actor's Passion and Old Greeting.

The plan for my horses were: Candy would run in the March 22nd Spiral Stakes, the next week Councilman would run in the Florida Derby, the next week, Paddy would run in the Wood Memorial and Clubhouse would run in the Santa Anita Derby. Finally, Plower would be running in the Arkansas Derby the following week.

Lauren would go with me to every race except the Santa Anita Derby, because she would be in New York to watch Paddy.

March 25th

Eddie shipped out to Kentucky to once more ride Candy Bird. We would face 12 other horses, and would have the 3 post in a 13 horse race. I saddled the horse, then went to the center circle to talk to Eddie.

"Same plan as last time."

"Alrighty boss, anyone to watch out for?"

"Killer Goal and the Pletcher horse, Mister Texas."

"Let's get em!"

I gave him the leg up and Lauren and I stayed in the paddock to watch one of the races on the monitors. Candy warmed up well, but it would've been hard to sweat up, for it being early spring, it was cold as the North Pole in Kentucky.

"They're all in. And They're off in the Spiral!"

Eddie got him relaxed into the 8th spot, a perfect position for the race. A few longshots decided to set some quick fractions up front, 22.8 for the opening quarter. Killer Goal had decided to sit last, benefiting us even more. The fractions stayed hot, 45.3 for the half, and we headed into the far turn. Eddie had to swing the horse extremely wide, somehow getting over cleanly from his inside position. As they swung into the stretch, he was 5 lengths off the leader, Mister Texas, and Killer Goal was 2nd after advancing throughout the race. Eddie pulled out the whip and started hitting him, gaining 2 lengths on the far outside and being 3 lengths off passing the 1/8th pole.

"Passing the 1/8th pole, Mister Texas hanging on but on his outside here is Killer Goal, Candy Bird continues to gain with young Eduardo Marquez. It's Mister Texas, Killer Goal, and Candy Bird with a length in between the 3 of them. Mister Texas on top, Candy Bird getting up on the outside, Candy Bird wins the Spiral by half of a length!"

I pumped my fist, 1 down, 5 to go.

"Nice job Eddie." I said after he got off the horse in the winner's circle.

"All thanks to you, derby next."

"But, will you be aboard is the question."

"Depends how Shocker runs." Shocker was the nickname people around the barn gave to Plower.

Eddie walked off to the jock's room after that.

After the race Lauren and I headed to a nice, local Italian restaurant. We both ordered, then we started talking.

Then after a while, we both leaned in, ready to kiss for the first time. Then, I heard a voice in my head saying,"Stop!"

I stopped.

"I'm sorry, I can't do this. I can't do this when I'm such a horrible person."

"Your the exact opposite of that, Devin." she said with that amazing smile on her face.

I wanted to just agree with her and get back to our incredible date, but I knew that I had to do what was right.

"I have to tell you something important. I-" I stopped to reconsider, but I need to do what was best for her. "I was the one who drugged Clubhouse."