Chapter 10: Adios

Although I had said I'd never truly cared about Jefe, I did. He was my best friend, my only friend. He made sacrifices so that he could help me live my dream, rather than earning big bucks on his own.

He had died 2 weeks before I came back to the barn, apparently Tom had called to tell me, but I never picked up, and I missed the funeral. I asked Tom where he was buried, and I immediately got in my Red Chevy, and went to his grave at the graveyeard nearest to the track.

I knelt down by his grave once I got there, and whispered,"Hey Jefe, how's it going up in heaven? I'm sorry I missed the funeral, must've been the 5 day period I lost my phone. Thanks for caring for the big boys, you were able to win 6 graded stakes in 2 months, and you won't see any of them again. I can already tell Clubhouse and the Actor miss you, I know they love you, and you treated them like they were royalty. Everyone is gonna miss you at the barn, big man, I hope your living it up in heaven like you did down here. I'm gonna get that Derby this year, I'm winning it for you." I kissed the grave, cried for a few minutes, then got back in my truck and sped back to the track.

When I got back to the track, no one could tell I had just cried, thanks to the orange and black, rayban sunglasses I always wore. Now, I had to find an assistant trainer, because Frankie took the fall and Jefe worked himself to death.

"Okay guys, let's gather around." My large stable staff all gathered around in the early morning.

"This is the big time, you all worked hard last year, and I expect more this year. We have Kentucky Derby horses, I'm gonna have Tom care for 2 and I'll have James get the other 2, you can talk and see who you want. I need a new assistant trainer, so if anyone here wants to talk, come by my office when I'm not on the phone, or if you know anyone who would want to be one, bring them over. Back to work everyone!" I instructed, and they all went off to do their work.

I went over to Council first, to see how he was doing before he would go to New York for the spring in the next 4 days, but I needed to see who would go with him. The horse was happy, per usual, he was just a jolly horse that anyone could be around.

Candy was the exact opposite of Councilman, he really only trusted the people that worked around here, and also Elvis Trujillo and Eddie, who had gone to work horses for other trainers that morning.

Clubhouse was sleeping, just like his lazy self did. He liked home way to much, which is why he would stay here to prep.

Plower was the observant type, he stood looking around, and got really excited when he came over.

"You're a happy horse, aren't ya? I wonder how you'll feel when you've run 3 races in 6 weeks?" Like he understood me, he enthusiasm quickly died down.

All the other horses were good and healthy, and luckily, none of my big runners had been retired.

It was derby time, the big time, it was time to for the 4 to show them that they were big men, while the other were still little boys.

We're young, we're determined, and We're ready for the road to Kentucky. For Jefe.