Chapter 12: Preps and Surprise

"Of course."

"Thank you! I hope that he will run in the Gotham, but if Councilman goes there, we can make some changes."

"I like the Gotham plan, considering he's 3 for 3 and had some long layoffs early on, so that and then we'll choose where we go from there."

She thanked me, and I hung the phone up, and went to get my horses ready for their next race. Plower would go to Tampa for the Tampa Bay Derby, Clubhouse would start for the first time this year in the San Felipe, and now Paddy Squires in the Gotham. They would all be on the same day, but I would go to New York to meet Lauren for the first time. James would saddle Clubhouse Drive and Tom would go south to saddle Plower in Tampa. Jose Ortiz would be aboard Paddy, Eddie would ride Plower in Tampa, and Corey would continue to ride Clubhouse in the San Felipe.

March 4th

It was a month since Councilman was 2nd and Plower one, and Plower would be returning for the 2nd of his 4 derby preps. The first of the races would be the Tampa Bay Derby. I called Tom after he saddled the horse.

"How's he doing Tom?"

"He's happy, Eddie got on and said this is gonna be huge."

"Well that's good. Is he warming up well?"

"As good as ever. It's post time, talk to you after the race."

I watched on the monitor at the track, in the 6 horse field, we were a 1/2 favorite.

"They're off, in the Tampa Bay Derby!!"

Plower broke well and Eddie pushed him forward, but he had a competitor as the 3rd choice, a Pletcher horse named Sefton Hall, came to challenge on the outside heading into the first turn. Eddie seemed to be riding confidently as they headed into the backside, able to set a solid opening quarter in 23.8. He had a half length lead on John Velazquez and Sefton Hall, who was 4 lengths clear of the top local horse, Starks. After the half mile pole, they had gone in a comfortable 48.1, as they headed into the far turn. Sefton Hall started to get leg weary as they kept going as they headed into the stretch, and Plower had a 4 length lead over Starks. Eddie flicked the reins and clicked at him, but never moved his arms forward to push him. As they went past the 1/8th pole, Eddie was set like a stone, 8 lengths ahead of Starks. They continued their coast home, and under the line, they had won by an easy 12 lengths.

I called Tom up after I celebrated.

"Nice job Tom, your really getting the best out of these horses."

"Thanks boss, these horses keep doing the work, I just watch."

"Is Eddie there?"

After a momentary pause,"Hey Boss, Eddie here."

"Beautiful ride Mr. Marquez! You have a nice Derby horse here."

"If people think this horse isn't an elite contender, their kidding themselves."

"On to Arkansas now! See you in a few days."

I hung the phone up, then went to the paddock to saddle Paddy Squires for the first time. I'd seen the horse before, he was a very sharp looking, bay colt with a large star on his head. After I saddled the colt, I went to the center circle to wait for Jose to come. Then a woman approached me, looking about my age.

"Hi, sorry I'm late. I'm Lauren." she said.

I stood there in awe, I was in love.