Chapter 7: Breeders Cup

Tuesday, 4 days before Breeders Cup Saturday

TVG had asked me to do an interview, to discuss the 7 horses I would send out for the two big days of racing. I gladly excepted, being the media hog I am.

"We welcome you in to TVG, and we are joined by one of the best trainers in the US, Devin Morrill." said the man.

"Thanks for having me." I responded.

"Devin, you have 7 horses running in the Breeders Cup, Plower and Clubhouse Drive in the Juvenile, Sound of Music in the Filly & Mare Turf, Candy Bird in the Juvenile Turf, Old Greeting in the Turf, Midnight Madness in the Sprint, and A P Talent in the Classic. Who do you think has the best shot out of them?"

"I think they all have a shot, there is no question that all of them can win."

"Clubhouse Drive is coming off one of the most impressive 2 year old stakes wins in recent years, has he been doing well since his win?"

"He's worked well. He's stayed healthy. He's the best horse in the nation, and he will show it Saturday."

"Now, let's talk about A P Talent in the Classic. He was 5th in the Preakness following his Lexington Stakes win, and then came back to win the Pennsylvania Derby. Since the win at Parx, he's only had one workout, which come Saturday, will be 2 weeks before the race. Why is he going at such a relaxed pace?"

"Well the in between the Preakness and Pennsylvania Derby, he had a thing called an injury, do you know what those are? Second, I don't really understand why you think you need to be a jerk and judge how I train my horses? Now, if you will excuse me, I'm gonna go do my job." I said before I took off the microphone and walked away, back to the barn area.

Wednesday, Post Position Draw

They would be drawing the post positions for the Breeders Cup races today, and to me, this was the most important part of the whole event. Candy Bird would have his race drawn first, and then the other 6 would have their's drawn later. The man started drawing the pills for the Juvenile Turf, then finally said- "Candy Bird. 1. Eduardo Marquez."

I thought we drew a good post, but I could only think about how excited Eddie was, or surprised for that matter. His agent was able to get him a mount on 2 other horses besides Plower, without telling Eddie. Candy Bird, and Sound Of Music.

The other races were drawn, the Filly & Mare Turf was drawn midway through, and Sound Of Music was able to get the 6 post out of 9 other horses.

The Filly & Mare Sprint was drawn. Then the Turf Sprint. Now, the Juvenile.

The man drawing the pills started. "Jungle House, 13."

It went on and on, then with 6 posts left. "Plower, 2."

Then, "Clubhouse Drive, 11."

Great, then absolutely terrible. I didn't want him coming from the outside, it's way to much work for him, atleast in my opinion. Kosta seemed to like it.

The rest of the draw went on. Old Greeting drew the 3 out of 12. Midnight Madness got the 10 out of 14. Finally, A P Talent got the 8 out of 13 for the Classic.

Breeders Cup Friday

It was the biggest race Candy Bird would run in his career. It was the biggest race Eddie would ever ride (for now). Jefe led Candy Bird over from the receiving barn, and he entered the saddling enclosure first. I started putting the saddle on with help from the valet, and Candy Bird was very relaxed, the opposite of what he was at Keeneland.