Chapter 8: Trouble

'Did you drug Clubhouse Drive?'

'What other horses have you done this to?'

'Did you do it?'

Yes. I did it.

I did drug the horse, and I don't know why. I felt I needed a serious contender for the Kentucky Derby, and the post position had me worried. But, did I tell everyone else I did it? 

No.

Monday after Breeders Cup 

"Mr. Morrill, were you the one who drugged Clubhouse Drive?" asked a reporter.

"No, I did not do it. I hate to say it, for he was a dear friend of mine, but it was my top assistant, Frank Shelton who drugged Clubhouse Drive. I did not know until the night after the race, when he called and confessed, that the horse had been drugged." I responded.

Although Frankie didn't do it, he was okay with me throwing him under the bus. He quitted that night, saying he wanted to pursue a career outside of racing.

After the press conference, I went back to the barn area.

"The stewards said the hearing is Wednesday." I told Jefe.

"What are you gonna do if you get suspended." he asked.

'I've taught you enough, so you'll take over."

"Ok boss. Thank you... I have a question, did you actually do it?" he asked.

"Nope, I would never." I responded.

I didn't need to be honest with my staff, I didn't need them. I could fire one of them and bring the next one in in a heartbeat. They needed me more than I needed them.

Wednesday, Stewards Hearing

"Thanks for coming here this morning Mr. Morrill." the head steward said.

"It's a pleasure..." I said, both annoyed and mad.

"We are here to discuss the disqualification of Clubhouse Drive because steroids were found in his post-race test."

"I didn't do it."

"We all know you wouldn't do that, but it came from someone."

The hearing went on, evidence and such was brought up by the stewards, and I told them that I caught Frankie injecting them into the horse.

"Here's our decision. You will be suspended from all NTRA tracks until January 1st, 2017, effective immediatley."

I thanked them, then walked straight out of the track, to my car, and drove home.

I was ok with the length. I had enough money to last, so I didn't care about a suspension post Breeders Cup season.

Councilman won the Nashua and the Remsen. Clubhouse Drive was able to redeem himself by winning the Los Al Futurity by 4. Candy Bird was able to win the Cecil B. Demille Stakes. Finally, Plower won the Kentucky Jockey Club to win his first Graded Stakes. All the owners of my horses called me and said I would stay trainer, understanding that 'Frankie drugged the horse'.

I didn't care who came with me, I just cared that me, and 4 other horses were at one track in one race on the 1st Saturday in May. The Kentucky Derby.