The Beginning

Sitting in the far corner of a famous coffee shop in the Metropolis, I can't help but look over the people coming in and out of the place. This is a very popular hang-out among all the others, because of its cozy location and chill vibes. Almost everyone knew this, and this has always been full. Fortunately, I befriended one of the staff and she was able to save me a space. She has always saved that for me, that whenever I arrive, it is always vacant. I guess it was my charm that got my way to her, but I feel sorry because I only use it in times of great need.

The need started when I was seeking a shelter from the pouring rain after completing a work assigned. I was looking for a dry place, and seeing the area almost instantaneously made me get in. I don't know what has gotten over me and so I looked for somewhere to stay. This did not go by the lady that was behind the counter.

'Hi, sir. Anything you want to order?' she said. Her voice was sweet, and from the looks of it, she was also a sweet lady. Her eyes smiled as she smiled, and her alabaster skin got into me. I wondered how many minutes I was standing there, because I noticed that her smile faded when I wasn't able to say anything.

'Hyo Jinah!' she called, and came another lady who looked so friendly, but fierce. Far different from the lady I saw earlier, which by the way, I haven't gotten the name even though I was staring at her nameplate and on her face.

Or was it the nameplate I was staring at, or something else?

'Sir, do you need anything?' the girl named Hyo Jin asked me, and it was then that I came back to my senses and placed the order.

'Moroccan Mint Tea, blended please. Venti,' I said. It was my go-to drink.

'Okay, one Moroccan Mint Tea Blend,' she repeated. 'How about cake, sir? Would you want to have some?' This girl surely knows how to make a sale.

I adjusted my cap and mask for some reason and I went to look at which one would suit me. 'Blueberry Cheesecake, please.'

'Right on, sir. So, one Moroccan Mint Tea Blend, Venti and one Blueberry Cheesecake. Would that be all, sir?' she asked. I nodded.

'That would be 400, sir,' she replied. I handed over my card and she took it. 

'Mr. Gu Seo Jin, sir. Kindly sign here,' she said, and I affixed my signature on the device. She then handed me back my card, and told me that my order will be served once it's ready.

'Anything else, sir?' she asked before I went. I looked at her, and proceeded to ask.

'What was her name? The one before you?'

She looked at me and smiled. 'Ah, that's Ms. Kim Yeon Hong sir. She's the owner,' Hyo Jin replied. I nodded and smiled underneath the mask.

Kim Yeon Hong. Quite an interesting name. 

I went over to the farthest area in the cafe, where only one person could fit in. I put my backpack down and took off my cap. Sitting down, I scanned my surroundings first and took a breather. What a heavy rain this would be, I told myself. But there was something about Ms. Kim that had me quite piqued to get to know her.

I took out my laptop and began to connect to the wifi, which unbelievably, there was none. I was about to stand and ask if they do have any connections, but then Hyo Jin beat me to it.

'There are no wifi connections here, sir, if that is what you are going to ask. Ms. Kim wanted this place to be as homey as it could be. She wanted this place to establish a connection between real people,' she said. 'Here's your order, sir.' And she went off to go back to the counter.

I smiled, this is something really worthwhile. I closed my laptop and put it back in my bag and took out my journal. I started to write out what I went through, while taking a sip of the Moroccan Blend that I ordered. I was amazed, it was way better than the other shop I frequent. I took a bite of the cheesecake, and it was way better too. Since then, I decided to have this place as my sanctuary, for some obvious reasons.