Confrontation ➳ Chapter 26

Nicola's POV

January 28th

Today's the day.

Today's the day I confront Kat.

How I'm going to go about it, I have no idea.

But it's going to happen.

The bell rings for homeroom and I sit upright in my seat. June is still sick, so the desk beside me is vacant. Gabby didn't come today either, or she hasn't come yet. But Anna is back.

Mr. Braydon calls off the names as usual, and halfway through, Joey casually strides into the room, trying not to look like she's out of breath. She glances at me at makes a 'Joey-face'; the expression she uses when she doesn't know something or doesn't care, to put it in literal form. But that face means a lot more: Kat isn't persuading her.

"Nick," I hear from the front of the room.

"Here," I call back automatically.

Satisfied, Mr. Braydon looks back down at his laptop, presumably on Twitter or something. I turn to face Joey, who was on her phone as well, her headphones stuck in her ears.

"Jo," I murmur to her, but I don't seem to gain her attention. "Dude," I try again. The same reaction.

My heart begins to speed up. Did Kat and Meg actually get her too? It's a possibility; there's a chance Meg and Joey had hung out yesterday. It's unlikely that Kat may have spoken to Joey, but Meg could be the translator of all problems for all I know.

"Joey," I say louder this time, waving my hand in front of her face.

She looks up. "Hm?" I almost sigh in relief. Thank goodness...

"You always have your frickin' music so loud!" I accuse with a smirk, and she gives me another 'Joey-face'.

"It's not that loud," she mumbles.

"Oh, yes it is. You have it on, like, full blast!" I urgently whisper. She shrugs.

"Did Meg mention anything to you about Kat yesterday?" I blurt out, keeping her from plugging back into her music.

She 'frowns'. "Why would she? We hate Kat." Her tone does sound believable, and I know to trust her. Why wouldn't I?

"Just a feeling, I guess." I mumble, about to turn back to my desktop.

"No seriously," she reaches out and halts me, placing her hand on my upper arm, "why?"

I shrug. "She's been talking to Kat a lot lately." I sigh.

"Yeah, what was that lunch thing all about yesterday?" Right; she was with me at lunch yesterday when Meg and Kat were conversing. We should be able to know about the situation.

"I don't know, but-" I'm cut off by the irritating school bell. Time for Chemistry... maybe I can tell Kat off then.

"Leggo, boy-o's," I say, mimicking a series of YouTubers. Hastily grabbing my belongings, I rush out the door, avoiding Sam's gaze as usual. I haven't thought much of him lately; he's been the least of my problems.

With balancing stressed schoolwork and friend problems and Aiden and Preston, the experience with Sam completely slipped my mind. How he would always protect me; make sure that everyone knows I'm his and he's mine. His lovable personality that doesn't show nowadays. How he would spend his time with me, even if I didn't need him at the time. He was there.

Unlike... anybody, really at the moment.

Meg has ditched me for another. And that other just so happens to be the one girl I wouldn't go to the ends of the earth for. But losing a friend really stings, even if we haven't lost each other quite yet.