Katherine ➳ Chapter 16

Nicola's POV

3:35pm

"How're you and Preston?" Gabby whispers. I want to wipe that smile right off her face. I glare at her and she laughs. "You always assume that I mean that in that way."

"Well aren't you?" I softly laugh.

"Yes," she shrugs. I deeply glare at her.

"Like I said, there is nothing!" I exclaim, my hands in the air. I close my locker and wait for June, who is probably still held up in her elective. Gabby stands by me, idling until she has to leave.

"Oh, sure," Gab teases dragging on her words. I roll my eyes at her, slipping my hands in the pockets of my jacket.

"He's probably with Kat anyway." I shudder when I say her name. Gabby crinkles her nose, too.

"I hate her," she mumbles, "she's so fake." I laugh. It's completely true.

Last year, in our last year at our middle school, I had become friends with 'the Original squad': Gabby, Joey, and Meg. But as well as them, I had Kat. She was so different last year. The five of us would create funny music videos and hang out almost every day; she didn't care about her reputation. Now, she's completely emerged in her public picture and how they see her. She was always so nice to me, as I was to her.

But then out of nowhere, she went up to Meg, who, at the time, was pretty much her best friend. She said that she didn't want to be friends, like a five year old. She's so immature.

Meg had been crying for days on end, and ever since that conundrum, my friends and I hate her. Kat was sucked into the rush of popularity; switching friends every other month until she made it to the top. She isn't the queen, but she's one of the queen's closest friends. Plus, earlier this year, I found out that she didn't even like me. She tried to get rid of me, telling Gab and Jo to not sit with me in class, make me feel like an outcast...

And she's all over Preston. It's disgusting. She flirts with him constantly, and I always want to vomit every time I see them together. I wouldn't want my friend to date trash. But what's worse is that Preston seems to like it. That's really the only thing wrong with him.

I'm glad Kat's gone.

"So true," I reply to Gabby, and we both giggle in approval. We respect Kat, but we dislike her, if that makes any sense.

Soon after, June comes skipping down the hallway. "Hello!" She exclaims, waving to us. I raise my eyebrow at her perky mood.

"What's up with you, little miss sunshine?" I ask, a smile tugging at my mouth.

"Nothin'," she says, continuing to her locker, a wide grin spread across her face. Gab and I approach her, but Gabby says the first words.

"Ellis?" She asks. June simply nods, still smiling devilishly.

"Oh great," I sigh, "What happened to him this time?"

"He tripped on some kid's crutches and fell into a trash bin." She stifles her giggles. She used to have a huge crush on Ellis at the beginning of the year, until we found out that he was a big jerk. His personality is so... different? He is a definite player, flirting with five different girls at once. I am amazed at how self-absorbed he is, just like Kat. They'd be cute together.

"Just..." I put my hands up, "As long as you don't wish for his death."

She scoffs at my statement, making me back off. He may be stupid, but he is a person.

And every person deserves a chance at life.

-

Preston's POV