Breakdown ➳ Chapter 18

Preston's POV

1:10pm

From the pain in my heart, I double over, my hands clenching my shirt. I cry out in pain, feeling myself fall from my stool. My heart is stinging, and I try to stay up to avoid a show. But I can already hear shouts and cries for help, and footsteps approaching me, shadows looming over my closed eyelids. I breathe in and out through my clenched teeth, trying to control my heart. It's beating quite fast, to the point where I might be having a heart attack. But I think heart attacks are when your heart completely stops. Mine is just picking up pace.

"Preston!" I hear people scream.

"Are you okay?"

"Somebody get Ms. Michaels!"

After what seemed like hours, my heart begins to restore to its usual state. I can tell that I'm lying on the floor, and people around me are worried. My head is resting on the cold tile, and I could feel the smoothness through my thin shirt. I open my eyes to see Kat, her blonde hair tied back, staring at me.

"Preston?" She whispers. I look at her in her beautiful hazel eyes, but what catches my attention is Nick standing behind her, her eyes filled with worry and her hands covering her mouth. She looks as if she's about to burst into tears. Glassy lines streaked her cheeks, telling me that she somewhat already has. She's shaking and I just want to hug her.

But I can't.

I know I can't.

-

Nicola's POV

1:10pm

I had just walked into the classroom. I greeted Preston as usual, and he ignored me. I've gotten used to it over the week.

I walked over and set my stuff down on the table. I pulled out my drawing book and turned to my most recent piece: Old Preston and Sara. I was almost finished it; I just had to shade Preston's hair. They were both smiling up at me with such happiness.

I wonder where it all disappeared to.

Because ever since January 9th, 2015, I have been so sad. Old Preston's death triggered a phase for me that is indescribable. The best way to put it is: sorrow. My life was completely flipped. The YouTubers were different, my friends seem different, life as it was seemed different...

And then I heard somebody yelp. I had turned to see it was Preston. His eyes were closed and he was falling off his stool. At first I thought it was just the usual clumsiness in class, but it was different. His hands were clutching his chest as he fell onto the hard ground, and he wasn't getting up. He was just crying out in pain. The series of events went by so quickly. Everybody had gotten up and rushed to his aid, but nobody dared to touch him in the fear that we would hurt him further. It was no doubt a problem with his heart, where his hands were positioned.

But he just kept yelling in pain.

I couldn't take it.

I started to cry, tears dripping down my face. I was standing behind everyone so that they couldn't read my emotions. Preston just kept screaming, his agonizing voice ringing through my mind. I covered my mouth in attempts to stifle my cries.

About a minute or so later, he stopped yelling and opened his eyes. Kat was leaning over him, and our peers were surrounding them both. Ms. Michaels was never in the classroom to begin with, but I think a few students went to go find her or any other teacher available.

After looking around, Preston and I locked our gazes on each other. He stared at me with worry, as I did for him, but the connection wasn't there. His expression was completely blank; emotionless. I felt my stare had a deep feeling to it. More meaning.