What Luck ➳ Chapter 5

Nicola's POV

My stomach flips.

Are you serious? After the weekend where one of my favorite YouTuber dies, you give me a classmate with the same first name as him? What luck is this?

My stomach clenches and my throat feels heavier. This is what I feel like when I'm about to cry.

I guess Meg saw me zone out cause she nudged me. "You okay?"

"Uh," I stutter, "Y-Yeah." But I'm really not. I'm about to burst into tears. When I was watching my regular videos on Saturday, almost every MC YouTuber that I watch had dedicated a video to the late TBNRFrags. And then I lost every tear in my body for the next couple days.

I don't I have anything left in me. I have absolutely no tears or cries or sobs left. But I need to get out of here... just in case. Wouldn't want to make a fool of myself.

Preston sits in the only open lab bench with two people. It's with Kat and Lacie. Best friends, and popular too. I don't like Kat too much cause... well, that's a different story. But they'll do a nice job talking him up.

As Ms. Michaels is about to start class, and when everybody chats quietly with each other, I get up from my seat with hopefully a blank face. Michaels eyes me and gives me a look that reads 'Why couldn't you go before class?' But she throws me the hall pass anyway. I catch it fluently as I walk towards the door. Its a beaker cleaner. Science!

As I pass them, I hear Kat talking. "So, Preston, do you play sports?" But when I shut the door, I can feel his eyes on my back.

-

Preston's POV

Well, that went well.

I had arrived at the school a little after the bell rang. Jenny thought I was out earlier, but she underestimated the commute time. The hallways were empty, so I had no choice but to ask the office secretary.

She led me upstairs where I met a teacher. She was young, with blonde hair and glasses. She seemed a little... quiet. She said her name was Ms. Michaels.

I got introduced to the class and everyone seemed to be cool about it. Especially the two girls I'm currently sitting beside. One has blonde hair and some thicker skin, and the other has dark hair and glasses.

The appearance of the whole class was diverse. Many different hair colors and attention spans, and I feel like I could tell who was smart and who wasn't.

But let's not judge a book by its cover.

When I sat down, everyone went back to talking or working, except one girl. She was asian; medium length black hair, olive skin, and a petite face. Her posture was hunched over, as if she was trying hide her face. She was wearing a loose white tee, grey cardigan, leggings, and brown combat boots with knee high socks. She was a literal walking stick; how could somebody be that thin?

The girl left the class in a hurry. I wonder why.... I shouldn't think to much of it... maybe she's just on her period or something.

-

Nicola's POV

I sit against the wall in the handicap stall, my knees up against my modest chest. I was cradling myself back and forth with the occasional sniffle and tear. Moving slightly helps me relax. Whether or not it's moving my fingers across the keyboard or running long distance, it calms me. Reminds me I'm not completely lazy or useless.

"Frickin'..." I say to myself. My brain snaps in realization.

"Man, I've been watching too many commentaries. I'm talking to myself-" Oh, the irony. I laugh to myself.

In the midst of my crying, I hear somebody walk into the bathroom. Immediately I stop breathing; if I get caught, I'm done for. But the shuffling of flat heels tell me it's another student. I tense up, eyeing the stall door.

I see the perpetrator's shoes walk up to my stall. They wore flats. Then they back off and enter a different stall. The next thing I hear is the girl crying. Guess we're in the same boat. Just probably for different reasons.

After a few minutes, I get up and take a deep breath. I flush the toilet for good measure and wash my hands, exiting into the hallway soon after.

I enter the nearest door on my right, which is my Chem classroom. Thankfully, Ms. Michaels isn't talking. The whole class is either whispering with each other or hunched over science papers.

Ms. Michaels acknowledges me presence and begins her lecture when I reach my desk. I'm one of the top students in my Math and Science classes, so the teachers know to wait for me, as well as the other exceptional students.

When I'm actually on my stool, Meg leans over to me once again.

"You sure?" She persists from our brief conversation before I left.

"Yeah... it's just my time of the month." I lie. I felt horrible, but she wouldn't understand the truth... especially in the middle of class. At least she backed off.

-

Continue in Chapter 6...