The Dance: Part 2 ➳ Chapter 21

Preston's POV

8:43pm

I am literally sitting here doing nothing, like I have been for the past half hour. Kat is just standing and talking to her girl friends like I'm invisible. I'm sitting at a random table that was pushed off to the side. It was covered with a white sheet, presumably for the small snacks and drinks at the buffet table.

Kat is a few feet away, so I decide to get up and go grab some more water. I've gone through five glasses just waiting. I stand up awkwardly, holding my glass in what hand and sneakily maneuvering myself around passers. Straight in front of me, the lighted stage sparkles, dragging all focus to it. Whoever deisgned this did a really good job.

Finally, I reach the long white table, where, surprisingly, nobody was there. They must all be dancing because after all, that's what dances are met for. Seizing the ladle, I feel my bladder splash as I stir the liquid.

Well, crap.

I drop the utensil and my cup onto the table and rush to the bathroom, my hands stuffed in my pockets. I pass by many dancers and they do not recognize my presence. On the other side of the gym, I see Quinn crazily dancing with Meg staring at him, laughing and smiling.

I leave the busy gymnasium dance area and enter a stairwell leading up. I flow into a hallway, where light illuminates the corridor from the clearly visible bathroom in the middle of the wall. I enter the one on the right, where it had the mens' sign.

The bright lights instantly blind me, and I am left with a plain, basic washroom design; three stalls and four urinals. The left wall is lined with polished white sinks, and the tile on the floor has a blue tinted gray color to it. The walls matched the rest of the rec center, and, as I noticed before, fluorescent lights line the ceiling, running down in a parallel and orderly fashion. It smelled faintly of lavender.

After doing my... business... I wash my hands with steaming hot water. The blow dryer was ear piercing, yet powerful. It dried my hands within a matter of seconds.

I retrace me steps back to the gym entrance. I turn the corner from the stairwell, seeing home stretch right in front of me. I take a step, only to feel the neck of my shirt tugged to the side.

My back arches as I follow the pull. I find Kat holding my tie, an angry look on her face. "Where the hell were you?" She asks with an edge to her voice.

"The bathroom," I say slowly and a matter-of-factly. She scowls at me even more.

"What the frick, Preston!" She almost screams, her voice a raspy whisper. "I wanted to dance!" Her whines fill my eardrums.

"Y'know I have freedom to go where I want!" I yell back at her, and she looks taken aback, which just ticks me off more.

"But you have to stay with me!" She angirly whines, a grip on me not loosening. She sounds impatient, like a stressed mother of several children.

I rip my tie from her grasp and hold her wrist. "I'm not your puppy! I don't want to feel like I'm in prison every waking moment of my life. Why do you get to go out and do things and I don't?" I scream,catching the attention of other people.

"Because you-you-" she begins, but I throw her arm down, cutting her off.

"Because I'm what?"

"Babe-" she tries to comfort me, but I immediately storm out of the vicinity, my mind racing. I'm pretty sure I just lost my 'girlfriend', but she was not worth my time. I managed to love and be loved within a matter of two weeks, but to no avail.