Kaitlyn the Nick ➳ Chapter 32

Preston's POV

3:57pm

Just shake it off, man. Shake it off. [A/N don't you dare bring up that song. I hate it.]

The girl looks away once the ball is thrown into the air. Immediately, she seems to drown any thought of me through yelling calls and running about the gymnasium floor. I keep my eyes square on her, though I know I probably shouldn't.

"Who you looking at?" Quinn's voice snaps me from my daze once again.

My mouth begins to formulate words before my brain can process it. "The red girl with blonde hair, brown highlights."

"Kaitlyn?" He inquires after a moment of searching.

"How the heck do you know her?" I ask, not daring to wrench my eyes from her in the event she might disappear or something.

"I'm social." He simply says, and I can hear him lean back in his chair.

Easily, Kaitlyn scores a three-pointer. Some of us applaud, including my light clapping. "Yeah, she's quite shy, timid," Quinn adds. Well, that's clearly different from my dream.

But then again, it was a figment of my wild imagination.

-

5:30pm

I'm leaning against the cold stone wall of the gym with my arms crossed. Contemplating going up to speak to Kaitlyn, I see her shyly conversing with her teammates, her expression seemingly neutral though they placed third in the tournament. The final game would be happening at any moment, now.

What am I doing? Why am I so nervous to go up and talk to her? I'm pretty socially inclined...

And with that, I feel my feet move towards her, dragging my helpless body along with them. She doesn't seem to notice me until I'm within six feet of her. She looks at me a smiles.

"Hey nice playing, today," I say.

"But we lost though, so..." she replies without any hint of sadness or defeat in her voice.

"What's your name?" I ask, although I already know this.

"Kaitlyn Brauer. What's yours?"

"Preston Lohouse." I answer.

Instantly, her smile fades and she looks down. "Oh-uh, I'm sorry did I-uh-same something?" I stammer, my stomach dropping at her actions.

"Oh no, it's not you," she mumbles, "if I tell you you'll probably think I'm weird."

"Try me," I challenge.

She sighs. "Preston was the name of this YouTuber I watched who passed away a few weeks ago."

My heart stops.

This is the second person that knows about me. Well, part of me. I feel as though this revelation will make my heart pain come back. I don't know why, but I immediately feel the need to get to know her better, despite my worrying.

I realize that I'm sitting there dumbfounded when her voice rings through my mind. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I breathe, "I've heard of him-TBNRFrags, right?"

Her eyes widen at my statement. "You watched him?" The fact that she's speaking in past tense does sting a little, knowing the absolute truth.

"Yeah! He was an awesome gamer," I smile, trying to lighten the mood while inadvertently complementing myself.

"He really was," she smiles at her feet. Soon, the conversation dies and is immediately replaced with awkward silence. This reminds me of something-someone-but I can't seem to place it-them.