Can't Sleep ➳ Chapter 13

Preston's POV

January 17th

I hear my phone vibrate from my desk, waking me up from my slumber. My eyes quickly adjust to the darkness; it's probably early in the morning. The bottom half of my body is covered with my thin sheets, while my tee shirt covered chest and arms are exposed to the chilly air in my room. My brain is still fluttering from the dream I cannot recall.

I slowly get up, still partially drained of energy. With my legs thrown off the side of the bed, I see my digital clock emitting a green hue.

4:46am.

Why is my phone going off now? I get up at 7 usually. I rub my face with my hands, and get up. My phone is still awake, and a new message inhabits my lockscreen.

It's from Joey.

'nicks in the hospital'

I don't know why, but before I know it, I'm in Jenny's car, pulling out of the driveway, headed for the Children's Hospital.

-

4:49am

I burst through the hospital doors, the bright lights blinding me. A few doctors and nurses turn their heads towards me. I'm panting, gasping for air. Not because I was tired, but because my heart was beating so fast. Why is Nick in the hospital?

I jog over to the lady at the front desk. "Is Nicola Ye here?" I frantically ask, leaning against the counter to relieve the pain in my legs.

"Are you family?" The lady questionsm I shake my head. "She's being treated in the ICU currently, but you will be able to see her once she's out." She explains, her voice filled with sympathy.

"When will that be?"

"I'm not sure." Her lips are set in a straight line. Without another word, I slump back into the rows of chairs just inside the front entrance. They're almost completely abandoned. I flop into the nearest one, my body aching from lack of sleep. I went to bed late last night because it was Friday. I had ended up hanging out with Quinn and my other buddies, and they stayed until eleven at night.

I lean forward and hold my head in my hands. What happened?

-

Nicola's POV

I'm falling.

I am drifting through thick fog, plummeting into nothingness. My hair is whipping behind me, my nearly naked body tingling from the cold sensation.

I feel open.

I feel free.

Suddenly, the fog turns into black smoke. Flames rise up from beneath me, scorching skin. The bad air pollutes my lungs, troubling my breathing. I try to call out. "Help!" I cry, but only a squeak emits from my throat.

Around me, words begin to formulate. They're unreadable; my vision has blurred from the smoke. I hear laughing echoing in my ears, toying with my emotions. Voices scream at me, but I'm in too much pain to understand the words.

I lift my head to see five girls, their backs facing my direction. Three brown haired, one nearly black haired, and a blonde. They're no doubt my friends. They're floating peacefully, almost as if there was ground beneath them.

"J-Joey! Meg! Gab!" I shriek, but once again, no words formulate. Smoke builds up in my mouth, making my cough hysterically. I feel a warm liquid spread across my face. With enough effort, my fingers brush my cheek. I look at them. They're covered in blood.