chapter twenty four.

It was a few days later, and Taylor had woken up early to make breakfast for Joe. He was flying to L.A. today to audition for a movie.
The two of them had spent all week at home, adjusting to the time change. She loved being with him more than anyone else in the entire world. It wasn't even six o'clock in the morning, and she was whirling around the kitchen making him a nice breakfast. She wanted to do something for him, considering that he'd always made her breakfast when they'd flown. She was nervous about being here on her own, but she had Meredith and Olivia to keep her company. She was worried that her mind might get away from her if she didn't have anyone to distract her. She'd keep herself busy. She could dust the place because she'd noticed the thin layer of dust on everything.
Joe came down the stairs and wrapped his arms around her. "You look beautiful today."
"I do not," Taylor scoffed. She was wearing her pyjamas, her hair in a messy ponytail and wearing her cat slippers. He kissed her cheek.
"You definitely do. I'm sorry that I've got to leave you today - hopefully, I'll be back tonight."
"You don't need to apologise, there's going to be plenty of times where I'll have to be away too," she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I hope that it goes well, I'm sure you'll be great." She'd been running through the lines with him all week, and he was nervous but he did all the lines flawlessly. She could watch him repeat them every day.
"Thanks. What are you making?"
"Your breakfast. I thought that it would be nice for you to have breakfast made for you considering you always insist that you make it for me." She smiled.
"It looks delicious." He told her with a kiss.

Being by the ocean made her feel happy. Joe was just about to leave, he was kissing her goodbye. She tried not to feel like it was forever. This was going to be the first time she'd been alone in over a month. She was so scared of being left alone with her thoughts. It was nearly seven o'clock in the morning and Joe looked gorgeous.
"I'll see you tonight, my love." He wrapped his arms around her. "Be kind to yourself while I'm gone, okay? Call me if you need anything. Even if you just need a reminder to be kind to yourself."
Taylor nodded. She knew she'd be okay, but she didn't want to be alone. She didn't trust herself.
"I hope that you have a nice time," Taylor kissed him. "Try not to stress too much. You know all those lines off by heart and I think you'll be perfect for the role." She reassured him. "I'll miss you." The car pulled up outside and she sighed. "I love you."
"I'll miss you too, Taylor." He cupped her cheek, "But I'll see you in a few hours. I love you."

The house was quiet. Too quiet and she didn't like it. She'd once loved the silence that filled the air in this house. But now, it was lonely. It wasn't even an overly nice day, and it was snowing every so often.
She began to dust the fireplaces and everything else she could find. She wanted to distract herself. Being alone with her thoughts was never a good thing. Cleaning had often been her comfort thing, but the house was already decently clean. It meant that she was done in under an hour. 

She was about to go into the library to find a book to read by the fire when her phone started to ring. She didn't recognise the number but picked it up anyway, in case it was something to do with Joe.
"Hello, it's Taylor speaking," she said into the phone, moving to sit by the window.
There was silence for a few moments before she heard a long breath. "Baby, it's me."
That voice crushed her the moment she heard it. It stole her light, stole everything she'd worked so hard to build up since Christmas time.
"How did you get my number?" She asked breathlessly. She felt winded, her heart was beating too fast.
"I have a number of tricks up my sleeve." He sounded... she couldn't even describe it. "Let me in, Taylor. Tell your security to let me in."
"No," Taylor said firmly. "You need to leave. You cannot be here. If you don't leave, I'll call-"
"Taylor, if you don't let me in... I'm going to kill myself, baby. I need to speak to you, baby. I need to show you that I've changed but if you don't give me the chance to show you... then I'm going to kill myself." There was a long pause and Taylor felt her breath hitch. "And it's going to be all your fault. You're going to be the reason why, and everyone's gonna know about it, about the fact that it was you and your manipulative ways that killed me. Please, baby. I just want to prove to you that I can be good." He always knew exactly how to manipulate her, always knew exactly how to get her strength to fade as quickly as it arrived.
"No. Leave, Adam. You're not setting foot in this house." Her voice trembled.
"Is the little schoolboy not there to protect you anymore? I suppose he grew tired of you? Took him long enough." Adam snapped. Taylor closed her eyes, biting her lip. "Baby, please. I'll kill myself, baby."
It was all too much. "They're all going to know that it was you that pushed me to do it."
"Adam, please. Please let me move on."
"No, Taylor. Please let me show you that I've changed. I promise you that I'm different now. If you let me in, I promise I'll be good. I just want you to see that I can be good to you, baby."
"No." She shook her head, biting her lip. "No."
"Fuck you." Adam hissed and Taylor felt her body cave in.
"No, Adam, fuck you!" She yelled into the phone. She wasn't going to tell Joe about this. She wasn't going to ruin his day. She hung up the phone. She wasn't going to tell Joe anything. At least, not until he got home tonight. It wasn't fair if she got him to come all the way home because of a phone call. She couldn't do that to him.
Her phone wouldn't stop ringing for about two minutes, and then it went silent. She sat by the window, her knees up to her chest, and felt too frozen to move.