chapter twenty nine.

"What a day," Taylor sighed as she crawled back into bed. They'd gotten up for a few hours to eat something and Taylor played with the cats for a while. "I never would have seen it coming. It's just not like me. None of this is like me. Like damn... I never even knew that I could punch someone!"
"It was... unexpected," Joe answered with a smile as he joined her in bed. "But you were angry. People usually are different when they're mad... and when they've been forced into darkness for a long time... people change. Hopefully, you'll never have to do anything like that again." Taylor smiled at him.
"Yesterday it felt like I was kind of on a high, you know? Like I just... I was so wrapped up in everything that I didn't feel anything else. Like I actually did that? God, who knew." Taylor cringed, laughing.
"At least he seems to have listened," Joe kissed her as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "At least now you can try and forget about it all. No one's going to know what happened."
She wasn't sure why he sounded so sure of that... she was so worried that she'd be ruined. The worst part of it would be that if it was discovered- she knew that there'd be more consequences for her than Adam, even when she only did what he'd been doing to her for three years. The music industry was a cruel place and she'd experienced that first-hand several times.
"I just can't believe it - it's like something out of a movie," She giggled, kissing him. She couldn't stop laughing when she thought about it, about Adam standing there with Joe, about her running in screaming for them to stop, about the words she'd murmured to Joe in the car. "I love you," she said between kisses.
"I love you to the moon and to Saturn," Joe told her softly, and she loved that phrase. She grabbed her phone and put the little line into her notes. She'd use it one day, she was sure of it.
"I wish we could just go back to when we were seven," she sighed as they lay beside each other, hands laced together beside them. "And we didn't know the big problems... we didn't know that there was a bad side to being alive. I wish that we could go back to making forts and actually believing that we'd be able to live there forever." She looked over at him, and he smiled. "We didn't have to worry about fighting an abusive ex in an abandoned New York building." She laughed. "We didn't have to worry about any of it."
"Did you used to make forts a lot as a kid?" Joe asked her, turning to face her.
"We did. Dad used to make them for Austin and me under the dining table. It was so fun - after dad had built it, mom would string fairy lights on the roof and we'd get every single available blanket and pillow to make it comfy. It used to be so cool to wake up and go downstairs to find it." She smiled as she thought about it. "Did you ever have a fort?"
"Our house was too small for that - but we had a treehouse that we'd made completely waterproof and that basically counted as a fort. Mum went out and brought blankets for us to have in there and we'd keep puzzles and all sorts of stuff out there."
"Wow!" Taylor exclaimed. "That sounds amazing."
The moon was beginning to rise over the ocean, and she yawned. "I'm so tired."
"Let's sleep," Joe snuggled down and Taylor smiled as she watched him close his eyes. He opened one of them with a smirk, and she almost fell out of bed in surprise.
"Goodnight," Joe told her as he kissed her. She giggled against his lips. "I love you."
"I love you too," she rested her head down on the pillow. "To the Moon and to Saturn."

Joe lay in bed for about an hour before he knew what he had to do. Taylor was asleep quietly beside him, with Meredith resting between them and Olivia at his feet. He had an idea, and he wanted it to be absolutely perfect. Olivia meowed as he got up, and he gently told her to be quiet. He wanted Taylor to stay asleep.
He left the bedroom and went to investigate where the perfect place to build a fort would be.
There were so many different places, but he decided on the living room. Taylor had a collection of beautiful armchairs that would be perfect for building a fort. He just had to find where she kept the sheets...
It took him a while, but he finally found them. He loved this woman so much. He couldn't even believe how much he loved her, and he'd never felt like this before. He'd never felt a love that was completely and utterly overwhelming. He loved her with everything he had and all that he was.
He'd do anything for her, he'd realised over the past couple of days. He would do absolutely anything to ensure that she was happy and safe.