Chapter 1: Hogwarts Day One

Start of First Year
*
*
*

"James, will you please slick down your hair?"

"No. I like my hair just fine the way it is Dad."

Fleamont Potter sighed in annoyance at his son's antics. "How do you think people will view me and my company if my own son has messy, uncontrolled hair?"

James shrugged and smirked. "Not really my problem is it?"

"James, show your father some respect!" Euphemia called from the hallway as she finished carrying out the last of James' school supplies.

"I am. I just don't want some potion in my hair." He ran a hand through his dark locks, pleased that it wasn't sticky or oily. It was his first day at Hogwarts after all, he didn't want to look too pompous.

He took in the trunk that sat by the front door. He'd spent days making sure everything he needed was in there. It'd be a true embarrassment if he needed to receive a package of things he's forgotten from his mother. That would surely ruin his shot at popularity.

*

Lily Evans hugged her parents goodbye with promises that she'd be back for the Christmas Holidays.

"Just be safe sweetheart," her mum said.

"I will mum. Plus I'll have—"

"Sev!"

Lily had noticed her best friend approaching the platform and had completely forgotten that she was saying goodbye to her family.

"Oh great, the other freak is here," Petunia mumbled, which captured Lily's attention again.

"Shut up Tuney," she spat at her sister.

"Well it's true. You two are just freaks. I wish you wouldn't bother coming home for the holidays. I've told all my friends that you're staying in a mental facility anyway."

Lily gasped. "You don't mean that!"

Petunia just scoffed. "Of course I do. I've been saying it ever since I found out you were magical or whatever."

"Fine. I don't need you anyway," she said, head held high, ignoring the tears that threatened to come through. They could fall once on the train, miles away from her awful sister's words.

"Come on Sev."

The pair ran through the barrier and onto the train without so much as a look behind them.

*

"Hey Sirius, over here!" an older, tall, blonde haired girl called out across the platform.

Sirius recognized her immediately; his cousin, Narcissa Black, a sixth year Slytherin. She exuded exactly what the Black family yearned for in their offspring. Attractive, quiet, powerful; she commanded the room to still from the simple clearing of her throat. Men lusted after her. There would be no problem with her marrying after Hogwarts.

"Hey." He greeted them as he got close.

"Are you excited for your first year?" Narcissa asked.

Sirius shrugged. "Yeah I guess."

"You guess?" Lucius Malfoy, the Headboy and boyfriend of Narcissa, asked, slight disapproval in his steely eyes.

"Yeah. I mean, I've been hearing about Hogwarts my entire life, I've yet to find out if it meets my expectations or not."

The group laughed and Lucius patted him on the back. "Good answer. I can not wait to have you and Stella with us at the Slytherin table."