Chapter 39: Wilting Petals

Severus Snape chuckled darkly as Dorian Mulcibur taunted a first year Hufflepuff.

      The boy, small and meek, was a Muggleborn and seemed proud of it. The Slytherin group knew better than to let the pipsqueak keep such confidence.

      Dorian whispered things to the boy, causing his dark skin to become ashen and eyes to well with unshed tears.

      Severus meanwhile leant against a pillar a few meters away, obsidian eyes taking in the scene greedily. Muggles weren't meant to have magic or magical heritage. The boy, Thomas Jackson, would learn soon that he would be better off with his pathetic non-magical family where he belonged.

A minute or so later Thomas was crying and Mulcibur had slapped him harshly telling him that his weakness was exactly why he should run home to mummy and never come back.

      Gavin Avery and Juliette Wilkes, the other two spectators snickered.

      Avery pulled his wand from his robe pocket and cast a stunner as Dorian finally stepped away.

      Juliette grinned. "That'll show the filthy mudblood."  

Just as the foursome were beginning to leave, two Gryffindors approached. They were laughing, probably gossiping about something idiotic.

      Severus turned to look, trailing behind slightly. A single glimpse of red hair and green eyes had him frozen in his tracks. He gulped as the two girls stopped in front of the young hufflepuff, comforting the crying boy instantly.

"Are you alright?" asked Lily as she knelt down by the cowering boy.

Thomas sniffed and shook his head. "Slytherins are mean," he whispered between sobs.

Marlene McKinnon clenched her fists tightly, her jaw setting. "What did they do?"

"He said- he said I sh-shouldn't be here," Thomas cried, "Said mud- said mudbloods like me belong with the rest of the-the muggle- muggle filth or-or..." he broke off, unable to continue.

      Lily grabbed his hand gently. "Shh," she cooed, "it's okay. It's going to be okay."

      "Who said that to you?" asked Marlene, her eyes darting around as if hoping to see the perpetrators.

      "I-I don't know," Thomas whispered. "He had dark brown hair and really dark evil eyes. His friends were- His friends were with him. The blond one stunned me." 

      "If it was Severus–"

      Lily snapped her head up to Marlene, a stern look crossing her visage. "Severus wouldn't do this, Marls."

      Marlene scoffed humorlessly. "Oh yeah, just the people he proudly surrounds himself with right?"

      The red-head sighed. She dragged a hand through her long hair, the other still clutched in the eleven year-old's, while searching for the words to defend her boyfriend's honour. "You don't know him like I do." 

      Marlene shook her head slightly, staring straight ahead, not daring to meet her best friend's gaze. This was the hill Lily was willing to die on. So be it.

      Still not facing her, Marlene spoke, her voice cold, dark and distant. "Fine. Don't come crying to me when he calls you a mudblood just like he's done to the rest of them then. You can only be his special little flower for so long. One day it will catch up to you, Lily. One day the petals are going to wilt and you, so caught up in your infatuation for a death-eater, won't have anyone to water you when they do."